My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 8th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook at TBC Facebook We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TBC Youtube Channel
Scripture – The Greatness Of God’s Word
Being the Church of the Living God. 1 Timothy 3:15 if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.
- We are…the CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD
- That is something to be excited about. We are His people, with a real purpose.
- Therefore we should be a passionate people about who we are and what God is calling us to do.
- The things that stir and drive our passions… THE GREATNESS OF GOD’S WORD
First Things First…Laying a foundation for the Greatness of God’s Word
God Has Faithfully Spoken to His People
God spoke through decrees
A decree of God is a word of God that causes something to happen
- Gen. 1:3 – “And God said, let there be light.”
- Gen. 1:24 – “And God said, let the earth bring forth living creatures.”
- Psalms 33:6 – “By the word of God the heavens were made”
God spoke through the prophets
God spoke to man through the prophets. To disbelieve or disobey any of the words of the prophets was to disbelieve and disobey God. Anyone who claimed to be speaking for Him, but was not was severely punished. (Ezek. 13:1-7, Deut. 10:20-22.)
Deut. 18:18-20 – “I will put my words in his mouth….”
Jer. 1:9 – “I have put my word in your mouth.”
God spoke through Jesus Christ
John 1:1 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (ESV)
John 1:14 – And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (ESV)
Rev. 19:13 –  Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.  His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself.  He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. (ESV)
- Greek Philosophy – The meaning of life, human reasoning, wisdom
- OT – God’s powerful self-expression in creation. The wisdom, revelation, and salvation from God ( John MacArthur)
- THE WORD = The meaning of life. The human reasoning sought after man is only found in CHRIST.
In Christ we have seen THE GLORY OF GOD
- God’s character
- God’s truth
- God’s will
God SPEAKS THROUGH HOLY SCRIPTURE
- The Holy Spirit inspired the writing.
- The Spirit empowered man to write God’s Word.
There is a progressive nature of how God has spoken in redemptive history
- The Bible
God’s Written Word
- Ex. 31:18 “Written with the finger of God”
In the New Testament Jesus promises that the Holy Spirit would bring to their remembrance the words which, He had spoken.
- John 14:25–26 –  “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you.  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. (ESV)
- John 16:12–14 –  “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.  When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.  He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. (ESV)
- Psalm 19:7-11
- 2 Tim. 3:16-17 (I recently preached this text)
What makes God’s Word So Great (Key Words – next week)
Authority – The Bible is God’s authoritative Word.
Infallibility – God’s word is without error.
Clarity – We can understand the Bible.
Necessity – The Bible is necessary for salvation and spiritual growth.
Sufficiency – The Word of God gives us all we need to live out the Christian life.
- Search Scripture for answers.
- Do not add to Scripture.
- Do not count outside guidance equal to Scripture.
- God has given us all He wants us to know and all we need to know.
The Foundation of all WE NEED has been given to us by God. Through the PERFECT WORD WE CAN UNDERSTAND THE GOSPEL….
- Our Salvation
- Our Sanctification
2 Peter 1:3–4 –  His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,  by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. (ESV)
One thought on “2 Timothy 3:16-17 & Psalm 19:7-11 “The Greatness of God’s Word””