Spiritual growth takes effort. (Joyful Discipline)
Our Effort + God’s Grace = Biblical Sanctification
Phil. 2:12-13 “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.”
WE NEED TO WORK OUT OUR SALVATION
- It is something WE do. YOU WORK OUT.
- We are not saved at one point and then make Him Lord later. He is Savior and Lord. A saved person should be growing
- Sanctification is the daily growing and changing into the likeness of Christ.
- It is a process that begins the moment we are saved.
I Cor. 15:10 “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
WE ARE JOINING GOD IN WHAT HE HAS ALREADY DONE.
- It is grace that saves and grace that grows.
- By grace through faith
- His grace is sufficient
- We can do it because HE has done it!
I Tim. 4:7-8 “But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise (gumnazo) yourself toward godliness. For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.”
WE ARE SWEATING TOWARD GODLINESS
- Too many lazy Christian’s
- Training for a race….on mile at a time. Key is starting and continuing
Heb. 5:14 “But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised (gumnazo) to discern both good and evil.”
WE ARE FEASTING ON THE WORD
- v. 12. By this time we ought to be….but we are not
- v. 13 We are still on the milk. We need to be on the meat.
- No excuse for grown believers to not be students of the Word.
- Listen to it, Read it, Meditate on it, Live it out.
Eph. 4:22-24 “And that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in righteousness.
WE ARE GROWING AND CHANGING EVERYDAY
- Put on and put off.
- Less of me and more of Jesus.
- We never arrive, yet we are excited about the journey