Is Christ enough in your life? Paul was praying for the young church. He was praying that they would grow in their relationship with Christ. He knew they needed to be maturing in their faith if they were going to be able to stand against the temptations, false teachings, and struggles of the day. What a great word for the church today. As we consider theses truths we need to apply them daily into our own lives.
9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 12 and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. 13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding
- Filled – supplied fully
- Knowledge – to be made known…God making Himself known through His word. (deeper and true knowledge)
- Wisdom – ability to accumulate & organize principles.
- Understanding – The application of those principles.
Hearing the Word. Reading the Word. Meditating on the Word. Applying the Word.
The Word is the key to knowing God’s will. God’s will= doing what God wants, when God wants, how God wants. We make something so simple…so difficult.
So that we may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord
- Worthy – to weigh. The value of something.
What value does your life give to the Lord.
- Fully pleasing Him
- Bearing fruit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, & self control.
- Increasing in the knowledge of God
- Study and meditation upon the Word
- Ministry and Serving
- Giving of Time, Talent, Treasures
So that we will be strengthened will all power (according to His glorious might)
We have the power to live the Christian life out. Through the Gospel we have all we need.
- Endurance – We can deal with circumstances
- Patience – We can deal with people
This is only possible as we give thanks to the Father for our salvation. Understanding what we have in Christ makes living the life possible.
Giving thanks to the Father
- Qualified us – To share in the inheritance of the saints.
- Make competent, authorized
- Delivered us – From the dominion of darkness
- Transferred us – To the New Kingdom. A royal rule.
- Redeemed us – From sin. He paid the price.