Enough: Colossians and the Supremacy of Christ in the Church
A journey through the book of Colossians
12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you[e] to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. 13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son,14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by[f] him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
Muhammad Ali passed over the week. He was known for his outlandish statements in the early part of his life when he was a great boxing champion. He self proclaimed “I am the greatest!” Yet, we know who the greatest really is! Paul knew that the heresy in Colossae was attacking the deity of Christ. Paul also knew that the deity, lordship, and supremacy of Christ was of upmost importance for the church to grasp.
Today, we need to grasp the greatest of Jesus Christ. While the world is so quick to remove Christ from His throne, we know that HE IS THE GREATEST! He is Lord. Whether people acknowledge it our not, HE IS THE GREATEST!
THE GREATNESS OF JESUS CHRIST. WHAT MAKES HIM SO GREAT!!
Jesus is the Savior of mankind– vv.12-14
- Qualified us – To share in the inheritance of the saints.
- Make competent, authorized
- Delivered us – From the dominion of darkness
- Transferred us – To the New Kingdom. A royal rule.
- Redeemed us – From sin. He paid the price
Jesus is the Creator of the World – vv. 15-17
- Image – icon.
- Likeness – image on a coin
- Manifestation – God fully revealed in Jesus
- Firstborn – not chronological, but rather in rank.
- ALL THINGS were created through Him, For Him
- He is before ALL THINGS. In Him ALL THINGS are held together
Jesus is the Source/Head of the Church – v. 18
- Head – Source. Head of River
- Firstborn from the dead
Jesus is the Fullness of God – vv.19-20
- Fullness – He is God
- To reconcile to Himself ALL THINGS
- Making peace by His blood