Enough: Colossians and the Supremacy of Christ in the Church
A journey through the book of Colossians
24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, 25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, 26 the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints. 27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 28 Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. 29 For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.
Suffering – v. 24
By suffering we identify with Christ and edify the body
James 1:1-12 (read and reflect upon)
Paul understood the nature of suffering:
- Suffering is for the benefit of others
- Suffering Bears Fruit – For the Body
- Suffering is an opportunity to rejoice
Serving – vv. 25-29
minister – diakonos. Minister. One who serves.
- Involves a message and a mission
Serving means we all have a part in the mission – Stewardship. We have been entrusted with a great mission, yet we are only managing what is HIS
NOT MAINTAINING, but MANAGING
- Privilege – WHAT HONOR to be considered for this mission.
- Responsibility – Our mission is be about His business. We are to share, live out, and encourage people to respond to the Gospel. Our mission is also to encourage others by pouring our life into them.
- One day we all we stand before the Lord. We will be accountable for what HE HAS GIVEN US TO MANAGE.
Serving means to make the Word and Will of God fully known
Which is – revealed in Christ v. 26
- The Gospel. God’s special revelation.
Which is – Christ in you the hope of glory v. 27
- Inner. Spirit filled. Personal.
- Expectation and Anticipation
Which is – warning and teaching with all wisdom. v. 28a
- Warn. Admonish. Counseling. What needs to be addressed. Dangers.
- Teach – The positive aspect. What we know to benefit us.
Which is – goal of Christlikeness. Maturity. v. 28b
Serving means we live a life of toiling with all energy and strength…and we are joyful and excited about it.
This should consume all our energy. OUR EVERYTHING SHOULD BE ABOUT THE MISSION.
What an honor. What a privilege to give our all because HE GAVE HIS ALL!!!