Enough: Colossians and the Supremacy of Christ in the Church
A journey through the book of Colossians
8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits[a] of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily
The enemy – Satan
- Eph 6:10 – Our enemy
- 1 Peter 5:8 – Roaring lion
- 2 Cor. 11:14 – Disguise
- 2 Cor. 12:7 – Harass
- Organized, strategic
- Yet, Defeated
- We need to “Fight the good fight.” 2 Tim 4:1-7
- To not understand what is at stake would be very dangerous.
4 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
- We need to take it VERY SERIOUS v. 8 See to it. Present tense imperative.
The strategy – TAKE US CAPTIVE
- Take you captive – come in and take what is yours, taking over a ship and its cargo.
The tactic – DECEPTION
18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”
20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
- False wisdom – Philosophy (LOVE OF WISDOM) which is…empty deceit (void of truth / fruitless)
- Tradition of Man – According to tradition of men passed along, becomes acceptable. Tradition, that which is handed down.
- How many times have we heard….
- “I just do not believe that God would that
- “I know that is what the Bible says, but….”
- “That was written a long time ago”
- “THAT IS NOT THE WAY WE DO IT”.
- Our traditions become more important than the teachings of Scripture
- How many times have we heard….
- Elementary spirits of the world – the spirit world. Do not play with the spirit world. All false teaching has it source in the demonic. WE ARE EITHER WITH JESUS OR OPPOSED TO HIM. EITHER TRUE OR FALSE!!!
The battle field – OUR MINDS…In the church and in the world
2 Cor 10:3-5
Do not trust your mind, Guard your mind, Keep Learning
- Matthew 7:15 – False teachers that come in sheeps clothing.
- Acts 20:29-32 – After I depart savage wolves will come in.
- .Peter 3:1 – Be on your guard, lest you be carried away.
v.8 – AND NOT ACCORDING TO CHRIST.
So simple, yet we make it so difficult.
While the enemy is real. Our Savior and Lord is real.
KNOW HIM, LOVE HIM, TRUST HIM, FOLLOW AFTER HIM.
- Is the devil real… yes.
- Is the devil’s threats real…yes
- Is the Gospel real…yes
- Has Christ paid the price…yes
- Is the Gospel enough…yes
- Can we live in victory….yes