Enough: Colossians and the Supremacy of Christ in the Church
A journey through the book of Colossians
9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10 and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing
In Christ we are complete…vv. 9-10 (Filled in Him)
- The fullness of God dwells bodily IN Christ. That’s it. Pretty clear statement…Jesus is God in bodily form.
- You have been filled IN HIM. A FACT TO BE ENJOYED NOT A STATUS TO BE ACHIEVED!!
- positionaly – justified
- progressively – sanctified
- If we are made complete…what does incomplete consist of?
- Spiritually, out of fellowship with God.
- Morally, our lives outside of God’s will.
- Mentally, not knowing ultimate truth.
- Head of ALL RULE and AUTHORITY
We do not need anything else…All we need is Jesus
We are complete because…In Christ we have a new life vv. 11-14
- circum. – v. 11
- old life is gone (in OT it signified belonging to the nation of Israel)
- baptism – v. 12
- new life is raised up; newness of life
- The 2 Covenants!!!
- From Dead to Alive. -13-14
- Sick men need a doctor, but dead men need a Savior!!!
- Alive together with Him.
- Forgiving us ALL OUR TRESPASSES (crossing a boundary)
- canceling the debt – having wiped off…nailed to the cross
We are complete because…In Christ we have a victorious life v. 15
- disarmed –stripped of power
- Rome – Governmental power.
- Jews – Religious power.
- Satan – Deception and fear
- Remember, Stand, Live out
- 1:23 – continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the Gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven.
- 2:7 – rooted and built up IN HIM, established in the faith.
- Remember, Stand, Live out
- triumphant – walking in victory
2 Corinthians 2:14-16
14 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. 15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life.Who is sufficient for these things?