The life of a leader
4 To Titus, my true child in a common faith:
Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
5 This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— 6 if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7 For an overseer, as God’s steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8 but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
His Calling – vv. 4-5
- HE IS SAVED
- HE IS GROWING
- HE IS INVESTING
HE IS A KINGDOM GUY!!!
- Common faith
- Trust, devotion, loyalty, dependence
- To the Lord and His Church
Key truth – We are called to love Him, love His church.
His Character – vv. 6-8
ABOVE REPROACH – Blameless, nothing to take hold of
- His family (home) – v. 6
- Wife – A one woman man. A good husband. HIS WIFE IS HIS TREASURE.
- sexual pure, committed, and faithful. (in our heart)
- No unbiblical divorce
- Adultery – Matt 19:1-9
- Abandonment – 1 Cor. 7:1-16
- in the home.
- faithful in behavior in and out of the home
- His fruits – v. 7-8 (HIS ATTRIBUTES AND ATTITUDE)
Overseer – a reminder that we manage what God has given us. GOD HAS PUT US IN THE CARE OF HIS PEOPLE…HIS CHURCH
ABOVE REPROACH….blameless not perfection.
DO WE DEMAND FOLLOWSHIP OR DO WE ATTRACT FOLLOWSHIP?
DO WE TEAR PEOPLE DOWN OR DO WE BUILD THEM UP?
Tears Down (negative) Builds Up (positive)
Quick tempered Lover of good
Greedy for gain Holy
His charge (mandate, power) – v. 9
He do we handle the Truth, Word, Gospel, The Message?
- Hold firm
- Importance and Dependence
- To the trustworthy word
- SO THAT
- Give instruction in sound doctrine
- Exhort, teach, come alongside
- Rebuke those that contradict
- Speak against.
- People who contradict. Speak out.
At the end of the day. Truth…His truth is all that matters. That is all that will bring change…that is all that matters. What we do with TRUTH. BELIEVE IT, TRUST IN IT, LIVE IT OUT, SHARE IT.