My sermon notes from Sunday, January 1st as we continue our study through Titus. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
Titus 2:1-10 – Who are we? WE ARE A FAMILY
2:1 But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. 6 Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. 7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us. 9 Bondservants are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, 10 not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.
To belong to the church should be like belonging to a family. We should not consider or involvement in the church as an individual or private matter, but rather a FAMILY AFFAIR.
1. The importance of family
- The family is the backbone of society.
- Multiply, rule over, worship God.
- Glorify God as we make disciples of the World.
- Him, Them and One Another
- Love him, adore him, praise him
- Love them, invest, and influence
- (JUST LIKE JESUS DID)
- As we encourage one another.
- Him, Them and One Another
2. A family consists of different generations. (we move from generation to generation)
- Great Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents, Children
3. Each generation has different roles, responsibilities, and expectations. (perceptions of generations)
Older Men. 2:1-2
- Be a teacher. 2:1
- Be sober minded. 2:2
- Be reverent/dignified. 2:2
- Be self-controlled. 2:2
- Be sound in the faith. 2:2
- Be loving. 2:2
- Be patient. 2:2
Older Women. 2:3
- Be reverent.
- Be truthful/not slanders
- Be sober.
- Be a teacher.
Younger Women. 2:4-5
- Love your husband. 2:4
- Love your children. 2:4
- Be self-controlled. 2:5
- Be pure. 2:5
- Be a homemaker. 2:5
- Be good/kind. 2:5
- Be subject to your husband. 2:5
Younger Men. 2:6-8
- Be level headed/sober minded. 2:6
- Be a good example. 2:7
- Be sound in doctrine. 2:7
- Be sound in speech. 2:8
4. The Church is where we do family together
- Our family is a picture to the world of the relationship of Christ and His Church. THE CHURCH IS A FAMILY