My sermon notes from Sunday, Feb 5th as we continue our study through Titus. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. 10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.
12 When I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there. 13 Do your best to speed Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way; see that they lack nothing. 14 And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.
15 All who are with me send greetings to you. Greet those who love us in the faith.
Grace be with you all.
Living as people of grace…within the body
Why are our relationships within the church so important? What does it matter how we deal with one another? How do we handle sin within the family? Is the purity of the church that important?
There are 2 reasons we must be careful to answer these questions in a biblical manner.
1:1 – For the sake of the church
Christ loves and cares for His church. How we conduct ourselves within the body life of the church is very important. IT IS HIS CHURCH!
3:8 – For the benefit of my life
Let’s make our life count (v. 8 profitable.)
People of grace avoid meaningless dialogue– v. 9
- Avoid (turn around from, shun)
- Foolish (moros. Moron)
- Controversies – based on human reason and imagination, rather than the Word of God.
- meaningless debates not grounded in the Word.
- because it is not based on the Word of God. TIME KILLER.
- Not profitable, because it gets us off our mission. What is our mission?
- STAY IN THE WORD!!!!
People of grace reject divisive people– vv. 10-11
- Stirs up division
- They must be disciplined
- Acts 5
- Matt 18
- Older generation….church has changed….yes it has, because we no longer discipline. That was under your watch.
- We are a family (same is true for our family) We discipline our children so that they will know how to live in society.
- For their good
- For the churches purity
- For God’s blessing
- FOR OUR HEALTH AND EFFECTIVENESS
- REMEMBER….within the church.
- Time killers. (keeps us off track…ME OFF TRACK)
- Trouble makers. Warped and sinful
Is this difficult? YES
Is it worth it? YES
Will God honor it? YES
Will God bless it? YES
My goal as a pastor
- Pour my life into those that will let me.
- Protect those that are given to me
People of grace follow faithful examples – vv. 12-13
We have so many examples of men and women that have faithfully lived for the Lord and loved His church.
- Listen to them
- Learn from them
- Go with them…serve by their side
As members…we need to reach out to others and encourage “ONE ANOTHER” to join us on the journey of living the Christian life.
People of grace maintain good works – vv. 14-15
- Learn – Life learner. Always growing and changing into the likeness of Christ.
- Devote – People of passion and love. Loving Him and the things He loves.
- Good Works
- Helpful and fruitful
- God’s glory and their benefit
GREET THOSE WHO LOVE US IN THE FAITH!!!
GRACE BE WITH YOU ALL.