My sermon notes from Sunday, Feb 12th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:1-5 – The Word
Who is Jesus? This is a basic question, but one that can be answered so many different ways. Is He just a good man? He is just an option to God? Who is He?
These first few verses in John help us see exactly who Christ is.
- He is the Word.
- He is the light.
- He is life.
- He is Jesus Christ the Son of God.
The Word – vv. 1-2
In the beginning Was the Word – PREEXISTENCE
- Arch – rule and authority, source and origin
- Gen 1:1, John 1:1
- Jesus has always been (eternal, before creation)
- Jesus is the Word. Father, Word/Son, and Holy Spirit
- Greek – That which brings reason and order in the universe, the source of wisdom. Jew – The word of the divine. Divine power and wisdom. Word was God’s revelation of Himself.
- “For centuries you’ve been talking, thinking, and writing about the Word(the logos). Now I will tell you who He is.” John meets both Jews and Greeks where they are at, and explains Jesus in terms they already understood.
- JESUS….that which brings reason and order to the universe. JESUS divine purpose and wisdom.
The Word was with God – DISTINCTIVENESS
- “Pros to theon” – face to face with God
- The word is a person, the companion to God himself.
The Word was God – DEITY
His incarnation – God with us. God yet Man.
How was he both Son of God and truly man? These disputes gave birth to certain heresies, the most serious of which were the Gnostic heresy, which stated that Jesus only appeared to be a true man; the Arian heresy, which taught that Jesus was a created being, less than God; and the Nestorian heresy, which implied that the Son of God, and the man, Jesus, shared the same body but retained two separate personhoods. (Theopedia.com)
The Word and creation – v. 3
All things were made through Him
- If all things were made through Him…then He has always been.
And without Him nothing was made
- Not one thing
Col. 1:15-20 – All is His. He is Lord. He is the master of all things. He holds all things together!!!!!
The Word and redemption – vv. 4-5
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
THE INTRO TO THE REST OF THE BOOK!!!!
- Life – ZOE…life from within Himself. 36 times in John
- Light – the manifestation of life.
The light shines in darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.
- Light – truth, holiness, God’s goodness
- Dark – Sin, all that is wrong. Satan’s demonic dominion.
- Overcome – Since the beginning Satan has tried to destroy the work of Christ. From the lineage in the OT…the babies in Bethlehem…all the way to the cross.