My sermon notes from Sunday, Feb 19th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.
9 The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:6-13 – Jesus Christ is the True Light
The Light and His Announcement- vv. 6-8
God could have used literally anything to announce the coming Savior, but He chose John the Baptist to bear witness.
- John represented the old…but was witnessing the new
- John represented the law…but was a witness to grace
- John was not the light, put pointed to it
- The messenger is never the light!
- John was on mission
- John pointed people to Christ
God is a God of purpose and order. He had a plan at creation and He is a God that is always in control and directing the course of life. John’s birth was part of the plan as Christ’s forerunner. Who better to announce His coming.
The Light and His Coming – vv. 9-13
- 9 – Redemption
- The true light – THE GOSPEL. TRUTH
- Which enlightens everyone
- TO MAKE KNOWN GOD’S PLAN OF REDEMPTION
- ALL OF SCRIPTURE POINTS TO THE CHRIST AND THE PLAN OF REDEMPTION
- No more law. Redemption is here!
- Was coming – New Covenant
- John 16. The Spirit and the Word are that which enlighten the Word about the Son.
- 10 – Realization
- He was in the Word. He made the World
- Yet they did not know him
- They were dead and blind
- 11 – Rejection
- He came to His own
- They were religious
- Yet they did not receive Him
- 12-13 – Reception
- But all who did receive Him
- Who believed in His name
- Belief that leads to Receiving. We must believe WHO HE IS in order to receive Him.
- Prophet – Reveals God to us
- Priest – The true sacrifice and high priest. Accepting Him for forgiveness of sin
- King – the ruler of our life. WORSHIP/OBEDIENCE. Allow ones life to be ruled by Him.
- He gave the right
- To become children of God
- Who were born not of blood
- Nor of the will of the flesh
- Nor of the will of man
- BUT BORN OF GOD
- John 3 – We must be born again
- From the inside out
- From dead to alive
- Not by my own doing, but a gift from God
We must give God the credit that He deserves!!!!!!
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin!