My sermon notes from Sunday, March 5th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
THE WORD BECAME FLESH – John 1:14-18
How much does God love? He loved us enough to send His Son to live, die, and rise again. Verses 14-18 show us HOW MUCH GOD DOES LOVE US!
His Love Displayed
He sent His Son – v. 14a
The Word became flesh
- Hebrews 1:1-4 – “In these days he has spoken to us by His Son.”
- What He came to do:
- He came to die and provide the ultimate sacrifice.
- He came to sympathize with us.
- He came to show us how to live.
And dwelt among us
- Dwelt – put down a tent, tabernacle.
- Great OT reference. The tabernacle was the presence of God, but a temporary one.
He revealed His Glory – v. 14b
TO MAKE HIMSELF KNOWN!!!!!!
And we have seen His Glory as the only Son from the Father
- Hebrews 1:3 – He is the radiance of the glory of God
- When we see Jesus for who He is….we see God.
- His love, mercy, truth. wisdom, power, and holiness
- Only – one of a kind
- Col. 2:9 – “In Him the fullness of deity dwells bodily.”
Full of Grace and Truth
- Attributes of God in reference to salvation
- We believe God’s truth…absolute truth
- We receive God’s grace…His means of salvation and life
His Love Received
We acknowledge His Lordship – v.15
- John the Baptist understood. HERE HE IS.
- Acknowledged who he was….THIS IS HIM….HE IS THE ONE!!
- Nothing else is coming or needed!!!!
- He is Lord.
We embrace His gift of Grace – v. 16-18
From His Fullness we all received grace upon grace = vv. 15 – 16
- His fullness. All one will ever need is found in Christ. overflowing
- Grace heaped upon grace
- Grace in the Old, Grace in the New
Grace and Truth come through Jesus Christ – vv. 17-18