My sermon notes from Sunday, March 12th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
John 1:19-34 – A witness for Jesus Christ
John the Baptist was the forerunner of Jesus Christ. His purpose was to point people to the coming of “the Lamb of God.” We may not think our life is as important as John the Baptist, but we are called for a special purpose. We are called to “make disciples of Jesus Christ.” (Matt. 28:18-20) Therefore, we are a type of John the Baptist. Our life should also be a witness that points people to Jesus Christ.
Does your life point people to Christ?
Is how you live and speak encouraging people with the hope of the Gospel?
Consider How You Live – vv. 19-28
Our Life – WHO ARE YOU?
The religious leaders knew something was different about John. He was willing to live different from others so that he could fulfill his calling.
He was a man of Character and Integrity – vv. 19-22
They thought he was:
- Elijah – Mal. 4:5 (Mark 1:6, 2 Kings 1:8…looked like him)
- The Prophet – Deut. 18:18
John the Baptist lived the life.
- 1 Peter 2:12
Evangelism starts with consecration not presentation.
How is your life? How often to people ask you….WHO ARE YOU?
Do you live different from others around you?
Do people act more like you over time or do you act more like them?
He was a man of Purpose and Mission – vv. 23-28
John was not concerned about himself, but rather he was pointing people to the coming of Christ. His sole purpose in life was about Jesus Christ.
We are so worried about our job, our kids, our sports, our hobbies, and our future. These may be good things, but the best thing is realizing we are here to MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR HIM!
Jesus is the Word, but John was the Voice. He pointed people to JESUS
JOHN’S MISSION WAS SIMPLE:
v. 23 – Encourage life change. REPENTANCE.
In the wilderness…make straight…the way (OT back from Exile to Jerusalem)
- There is a need. I am in the wrong place
- There is a gap
- There is a way….Jesus
Pharisees would have been wondering…Why do we need to repent? We are Jews. Like today….Why do I need to repent?
v. 24-25 – stand firm in the face of opposition
- speak the truth in love. (Eph. 4:15)
v. 26-28 – stay the course….the Gospel…Jesus.
Is your mission as John’s.
- Do you encourage life change?
- Do you stand firm in the face of opposition?
- Do you stay the course?
They did not know HIM
- apart from the grace of God the world will never get it.
- I am only pointing the way
- He is not me
- He is Lord of Lord and King of Kings…not worthy to untie his sandal
- John told them they did not know Jesus. …THAT IS WHY HE WAS THERE.
- Just as today…people ask, say, and do…because they do not “know Jesus”
- 1:4 – in Him was life and the light of men
- 1:9 – He is the true light that enlightens
- 1:17 – He is the source of grace and truth.
Consider the Jesus You Share – vv. 29-34
Our message – Who do we point people to?
WHO IS JESUS? – (Get Jesus Right)
It seems at times that everyone has their own definition of what it means to be a Christian. It appears we can create our own understanding of who Jesus is.
John got it right. WE NEED TO GET IT RIGHT.
He is Savior… that takes away our sin
He is Sustainer….that guides and rules our life
SAVIOR – Forgiver of your sins – v. 29
- Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Exodus 12
SUSTAINER – Ruler and sustainer of your life – vv. 30-34
- 30 – Your Lord and Master…ranks before
- who ranks before me, was before me
- 33 – Fills, Empowers, Guides…through the giving of the Spirit.
- 34 – Son of God