My sermon notes from Sunday, May 7th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
John 3:9-15 – You must believe to have eternal life
- The Word came for a reason….TO SEEK, SAVE, GIVE ETERNAL LIFE
- We must respond to the Word…1:12-13 – But to all who did receive Him, who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God, who were born not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
AN OVERVIEW OF THIS SECTION:
- 2:1-12 – A new age
- 2:13-25 – A new temple
- 3:1-21 – A new birth
NEW, NEW, NEW. (NEW = redeemed, made new) SOMETHING MUST CHANGE!!!
We must be born again! – vv. 1-8
We must believe! – vv. 9-15
One must understand, receive, and believe vv. 9-12
(Our mind and our heart is where the problem lies)
- Understand – to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
- Receive – grasp, take hold, catch and secure
- Believe – to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
- He was educated, He was religious, He was influential
- He thought he was right with God
We are not talking about earthly things, but heavenly things.
Born Again….Believe. Salvation Process
Gospel Is The Key – Join God where He is working.
Jesus, is the son of man – v. 13
(We must see Jesus for who He is)
Dan. 7:13-14 – The son of Man His Lordship, reign, Kingdom)
- This son of man comes from heaven to earth to judge the earth and have dominion over it all
- He is said to be the one whom all will worship
- His reign is said to last forever
He has been lifted up – v. 14
(The debt has been paid)
First of 3 times in John (his death, resurrection, and exaltation)
- Numbers 21:4-9 was a picture Jesus and His work.
- Serpents are often used as pictures of evil in the Bible
- Moses ‘serpent in Numbers 21 was made of bronze…So, a bronze serpent does speak of sin, but of sin judged. In the same way Jesus, who knew no sin became sin for us on the cross, and our sin was judged in Him
- In the Numbers 21:4-9 account, the people were saved not by doing anything, but by simply looking to the bronze serpent. They had to trust that something as seemingly foolish as looking at such a thing would be sufficient to save them
- As it says in Isaiah 45:22: Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.
Whoever believes in Him should have eternal life – v. 15
(We must place our faith in Christ)
First of 17 references of eternal life in John’s Gospel
- Life here and now.
- Embraced in Christ – life in Christ
- Experienced not, yet fully at the resurrection