My sermon notes from Sunday, June 18th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 4:27-45 – The Word from the well
vv. 27-30 – To the Woman – To know Jesus is to experience Living Water
- Deals with the eternal issues of life
- 15 – need
- 19 – sin
- Dynamic, and lifechanging
- Confessed faith in Christ
- Lived a different life
- Shared with others…because she had a Concern for others
vv. 31-38 – To the Disciples – To know Jesus is to experience the will of the Father
- Jesus doing the Father’s will
- They had to be asking…
- What does all this mean??? What are you doing? Why are we here?
- My food is to do God’s will….His purpose…His way…
35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
Jesus was fulfilling God’s redemptive purpose (God’s Will is always redemptive….Justification, Sanctification, Glorification) ALL of the Christian life is about REDEMPTION.
John 19:30 – IT IS FINISHED!!!!!!!
- Believers doing the Father’s will
I waited patiently for the Lord, he inclined to me and heard my cry.
2 He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
3 He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.
4 Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust,
who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie!
5 You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you!
I will proclaim and tell of them, yet they are more than can be told.
6 In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, but you have given me an open ear.
Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required.
7 Then I said, “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me:
8 I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”
- We also have a purpose to fulfill. We need to follow after the will of God
The disciples were willing to follow after Jesus, yet here it appears they have lost their focus and true reason to follow Christ. How often do we get side tracked on what God is asking us to do?
Their focus and priorities were off:
- Busyness verse Purpose
- The Future verse the Present
- I am called to ministry….future fulfilment
- One day I am going…..
- Physical verse Spiritual
- Good verse Best
- Martha verse Mary
Doing God’s will now and ongoing:
- Romans 12:1-2 (us and God)
- Present (Trust – Love – Submit -)
- Do not be conformed (Obey – Follow)
- Discern (what He is revealing through His Word)
Doing the will of God is a calling and lifestyle:
- Sowing and Reaping (us, God and others)
- It is always about knowing, growing, and going. (ME AND OTHERS)
- Sharing the Gospel and trusting God with the results
To the Samaritans – To know Jesus is to experience “THE LAMB OF GOD 1:29
v. 42 – WE KNOW THAT HE IS INDEED THE SAVIOR OF THE WORLD!!
- It was personal
- from His words
- the woman’s was not enough. They need to words of Christ.
- Savior of the World
- They knew they had been saved