My sermon notes from Sunday, June 25th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Two Healings that point to true grace and faith
Here we have the 2nd and 3rd of Jesus 7 signs in John’s Gospel.
- Official’s Son
- The invalid at the pools
The signs/miracles in John’s Gospel point to who He is (His identity).
- The Son of God
- The true Messiah
- Savior/Redeemer who has come as the light into a dark world to save man from His sin.
As we prepare for a week of VBS that is focusing on Grace and Faith (Eph. 2:8-9) these 2 signs give us much insight into what true biblical grace and faith are all about.
READ ALL OF TEXT
- All mankind needs Grace through Faith
- Nicodemus, Samaritan Woman, Gentile ruler, invalid at the pool. (all types. The Gospel is for mankind.)
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave…
- Titus 2:11-14 11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.
- Tragedy can be a pathway of Grace
- Near death
- Things outside of our control.
- Things wihin our control. Past mistakes and bad decisions. (we sometimes need to be flat on our back before we can look up) PRAISE THE LORD FOR HIS GRACE!!!
- Faith is based on more than what we can see
- v. 48 – unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe (Jesus was speaking to him, but also to all others listening.
- Key is that Jesus knew this man’s heart, but he also knew others….that is why He spoke this for all to hear. He knew they were fascinated by what He could do, but they were not willing to acknowledge who He was.
- There is power in the Word – Christ spoke
- 4:50 – Go, your son will live. The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and went on his way.
- 5:8-9 – Get up, take your bed and walk. And at once the man was healed, and he took up his bed and walked.
- True faith is a trusting faith. (faith that leads to action)
- Crisis of faith
- Confident faith
- Confirmed faith
- Contagious faith
- The validity of the Gospel will always be attacked (they attacked Jesus right after he healed the man)
- Satan has always attacked the truth of God’s Word.
- Approval is not our goal, but faith that leads to obedience
- God’s grace used by true faith has redemptive power
- 4:53 And he himself believed, and all his household.