My sermon notes from Sunday, July 23rd as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
- 1st reference of a multitude following. 2nd of 3rd reference of Passover, so it is at least a year since 2:13 (Temple cleansing)
- Crowd has grown (the signs have made him known)
- The significance of bread. Jesus and Moses. Moses provided bread and Jesus provided bread.
- Moses delivered the people through the Red Sea. Jesus walked on the water.
Getting into the text:
The Feeding – SIGN 4
Only miracle mentioned in all 4 Gospels…along with resurrection
(could have been up to 20,00…5,000 men)
The hopelessness of the people
- A great need. No food
- Physical, but the greater need is spiritual.
The possible solutions
- Mark 6:35 – The disciples…send them away
- From Philip – Raise money to feed them.
- $ is the answer. Mans way to do things.
- Andrew – Bring the boy to Jesus. Doing something. At least Andrew was about bringing people to Jesus. 1:40, 12:20
- Jesus – Do the supernatural. DO WHAT NO ONE ELSE CAN DO.
- Not only fed them, but 12 baskets left over
The wanted to make His King.
The time was not right.
- Was not time yet. God’s plan of redemption.
- They wanted a military/political king, but they needed a suffering servant. The cross awaited Him.
Their heart was not right
- They wanted to be their King, but did not recognize that HE WAS KING!
- They wanted needs met…the miraculous.
- They needed their sins forgiven….their greatest need.
TRUE WANTS AND TRUE NEEDS.
- They wanted physical and political, but their need was spiritual.
- Their loyalty was not right. Their Jesus was not right.
The storm – SIGN 5
Matt 14:22, Mark 6:45
Jesus sends them ahead (Mt and Mk) so that He can go to the mountain and pray.
He was preparing Himself – He was seeking the Father
- As the conflict and the crowds increase there is temptation to by-pass the cross.
He was preparing the Disciples
- In the midst of storms we can trust in Christ
- He is Lord of ALL.
- Providing food
- Calming the storm – Lord of creation.
Lessons from the Word
- God the possible with the impossible
- God uses humble means to accomplish greatness
- The initial need was met…plus much
- God uses His followers to accomplish His will
- Dependence and Obedience
- We must never forget the true nature of His Lordship
- Not political, not physical, but SPIRITUAL
- God put His followers in situations to test their faith so that they can develop a deeper faith.
- Jesus is greater than Moses…..HE IS THE ANSWER!!!!! TO JEWS AND TO US!