My sermon notes from Sunday, Aug 6th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
I am the Bread of Life
- Continuing to answer….WHO ARE YOU?
- Contrast between Moses and Jesus. Law and Grace
- What God did through Moses was pointing toward Jesus
- We want, we need, but are we ever really satisfied. JESUS IS OUR ONLY SATISFACTION.
GETTING INTO THE TEXT:
You are seeking, but what are you seeking for – vv. 25-26
You are seeking me, not because of the signs, but because of the food.
- They were SEEKING. Remember that the signs pointed toward something….WHO JESUS IS.
- The sign is not the destination…it points to it
- They wanted more of the bread.
You are laboring, but what are you laboring for – vv. 27-29
- LABOR– work, completing a task
- For food that perishes. The bread to satisfy
- This is the WORK…that you BELIEVE in Him who HE has sent
- OUR WORK IS FAITH
- God has set his SEAL. Authentication/Authority/Ownership
- The irony here….WE WORK OURSELVES TO DEATH AND THE ONE WORK THAT IS REQUIRED……WE RUN FROM!!!!!!
THEY WERE (SO DO WE) SEEKING AND LABORING AFTER…
- The immediate satisfaction
- Earthy things
- WHILE GOOD…But not the BEST
You are coming, but what are you coming for – vv. 30-35
You must COME and BELIEVE in Jesus Christ
- Jews….What sign do you do? Our fathers at the manna Moses provided
- Jesus…MY FATHER PROVIDED THAT BREAD TO MOSES
- He came down from heaven
- Gave life to the world
- Sir give us this bread
- I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE
- Your only satisfaction, need, the promise you have been hoping for.
- We must believe…
- Who He is
- What He has done
- What that means to you and me
- Sins forgiven
- Clothed with His righteousness