My sermon notes from Sunday, Oct. 8th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Jesus is the light of the world
Again, Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
HE IS GOD
Ex. 3:14 – I AM WHO I AM (If I AM is sending you…)
- Because of who He is then we can…LISTEN – TRUST – DO.
- Keep the end in mind. (I AM GOD…YOU CAN DO IT.)
Jesus is saying “I am God”
- Who He is.
- Where He is from.
- What He has come to do.
“The light of the world”
HE IS LIGHT
- Ignorance – (which leads to behavior…Folly)
- Psalm 82:5 They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk about in darkness;
- John 3:19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. (ESV)
- Bondage – (misery, enslaved to Satan)
- Ephesians 6:12 – For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. (ESV)
- Condemnation – (judgement of God)
- Matthew 22:13 – Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ (ESV)
- Great example is Cain in Genesis 4. World was not originally created in darkness, but was made dark by sin. Why did God allow this? It is a picture of how we need someone be that mediator and reconciler. We do not have the righteousness to do. THIS IS ONLY FOUND IN CHRIST.
Light – represents – Purity, Holiness, Exposes, Directs, and Guides.
- The opposite of all that darkness represents.
- (Ignorance, Evil, Bondage, Condemnation)
- THE light – The great light on display at the Feast. They would be lighting up the night sky. JESUS IS SAYING…I HAVE COME TO REALLY BE THE LIGHT.
- As the light directed and guided in the wilderness… I have come to be the fulfillment of that light. That light lead you as you entered the promise land… I AM THE PROMISE LAND.
Of the World
- Not just for the Jewish Kingdom, but for the World. The feast was a Jewish holiday…AGAIN…JESUS CAME TO FULFILL THE OLD. THE NEW COVENANT IS FOR JEW AND GENTILE.
Whoever follows (Lordship Salvation – Savior and Lord)
HE IS LORD
- There is not salvation without commitment.
- He is Savior and Lord.
- A joyful recognition of HIS LORDSHIP over EVERYTHING
- TAKE UP YOUR CROSS
Luke 9:23-26 – And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.  For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?  For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. (ESV)
- COUNT THE COST
Luke 18:18-27 – And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”  And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.  You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’”  And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.”  When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”  But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich.  Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!  For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”  Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?”  But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” (ESV)
Will not walk in darkness… WHY? Because they are following Jesus
- Ignorance, Evil, Bondage, Condemnation
Will have the light of life
- WILL HAVE – possess, Union with Christ
- Light of life – GIVES LIFE, growth, holiness, purpose, direction, meaning.
- Life is a journey/pilgrimage
- Matthew 7:13-14 – “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.  For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. (ESV).