My study notes for Sunday night Oct. 29th. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Our Calling/Purpose – What has God saved me to do?
2 Tim. 1:6 & 9
- Fan into flame the gift of God which is in you
- Gave us a spirit not of fear:
- Saved and Called
- Holy calling
- Not because of us (our works)
- Because of HIS OWN PURPOSE AND GRACE
- Which He gave us in Christ Jesus
From Scripture…what is God calling us to do?
To name a few:
- Worship Him.
- Make disciples
- Love God and Love others.
Priorities – What am I doing to fulfill this calling? (Where I spend my time, energy, and effort)
My personal ministry statement….As Christians, we exist to live a life that brings glory and honor to God as we seek to make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Chronicles 29:10-15
- Give Him the credit He deserves. Truly acknowledge Him as God. Worship Him as God. Pray to Him as God. Live for Him as God.
1 Peter 4:7-11
- In order that…. God would be glorified through Jesus Christ
- A great picture of the goal of discipleship
- You/Me…Make Disciples
- Their process…First called Christians
Glorify God – Our relationship with Him.
Start with God. If we get God right, then everything else falls into place.
- My heart is yours Lord. (Week 3 and 3)
- My mind is yours Lord. (Week 4)
- My life is yours Lord (This week. Our calling, purpose & priorities)
1 Cor. 10:31 – Let everything I do Lord, be for your glory, your honor, your name, your fame… and not mine
Makes Disciples – Our relationship with others
(What we do with the Gospel that impacts others)
We know we are passing through, but we also know we have a task to complete. (Phil. 3:20 – citizenship is in heaven 1 Peter 2:11 – aliens and strangers)
INVOLVES ACTION – THE DOING – THE MAKING
IF WE LOVE GOD, THEN WE WILL LOVE OTHERS. (THE 2 GREAT COMMANDMENTS)
- Believe it (the Gospel)
- Live it out (the Gospel)
- Share it (the Gospel
Takes all three…all three all the time.
- Must be a balance to be healthy. (KNOWLEDGE AND LIFE)
- We can have our doctrine right, but not have our relationships right.
- We can have our relationships right and not have our doctrine right.
UNDERSTAND WHAT WE ARE MAKING A disciple is a saved person LEARNING to live under the LORDSHIP OF JESUS.
Evangelism and Discipleship (Different sides to the same coin)
Practical Steps to Making Disciples:
- Identify people that need Christ as their personal Lord and Savior
- PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE. Christian’s should be people that love people.
- Live our life as we are living on the mission field.
- Invest your life into them
- Time, Talent, and Treasures.
- Be committed to the things that are the most important.
- KINGDOM RELATIONSHIPS!
- Influence them with the Gospel
- With the hope that is within you. THE GOSPEL
- Live it out!!!
- Invite them to trust in Christ
- Personally, invite people to Christ, to church, to an event.