My study notes for Sunday night Nov 5th. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Week 6 – The Sin of Complacency
Webster Def. – self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies.
- content where we are
- unaware (clueless)
- of where I can be in Christ
- of what the consequences can be.
- NOT DOING WHAT WE HAVE BEEN CALLED TO DO WITH WHAT HE HAS GIVEN US TO DO IT WITH.
- The majority in the middle. The majority is complacent in most organizations. The sad part is that this also includes the church.
- Members, Worship, SS, Discipleship (our attendance). The more intentional the ministry/teaching the smaller the numbers.
Revelation 3:14-17 –  “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation.  “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot!  So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.  For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. (ESV)
Our excuses/reasons for complacency:
Been there done that – I do not need to do anything (extra…above and beyond)
- I think I am saved, go to church, do my part.
- Pride/self-assurance. I do not need to. I am ok(I would question their conversion if there was not dependence upon the Lordship of Christ.)
Lazy – just cannot get going. I know I need to be, but I just keep not doing it.
Tired – too many irons in the fire. I really want to but I just do not have the time. (REMEMBER OUR CALLING, PURPOSE, and PRIORITIES.
- Self – I never knew I was supposed to.
- Never in church, little personal growth in the Word (I would question their conversion if there was no involvement with the church or no fruit over their life)
- Church – I HAVE NEVER BEEN CHALLENGED.
- 2 Tim 4:1-5 (IT IS THE MINISTRY OF THE CHURCH TO CHALLENGE THE SAINTS)
- Reprove – Tell the truth about sin. Expose and point out.
- For the purpose of conviction
- Rebuke – Criticize Sharply
- Urgency and authority
- Exhort – Encourage
- Come alongside of (gently restore)
What happens when we are complacent with the Word.
With the Word as an individual
Matthew 7:24-27 –  “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.  And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.  And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” (ESV)
With the Word as a church
1 Corinthians 5:1-2 –  It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife.  And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. (ESV)