True Liberty is Found in the Truth of the Gospel
(What do we do with THE truth?)
Words that Jesus has spoken at the temple. (Words to be heard, understood, and received)
John 7:37–38  On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” (ESV)
John 8:12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (ESV)
John 8:21 So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” (ESV)
Here in our text today:
John 8:31–32  So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,  and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (ESV)
- The Word is truth.
- A truth that is to be believed.
- A truth that brings about life change.
- If you believe then…you will/must abide in the Word
- Embraced and lived out. (to keep, dwell, permanent)
- If one abides in the Word then we are His disciples
A true believer/disciple lives in freedom and not bondage – vv. 33-36
- In bondage to self, sin, and Satan
- BONDAGE – determines our future, productivity, our fruit.
- Free in Christ
- Born again, new creatures, living water, walking in the light
A true believer/disciple is a child of the Lord not of Satan – vv. 37-50
We are either a child of the King of a child of the deceiver. Either or. Narrow or Broad way. Light or Dark. (Seed, children, father.)
We can have only one Lord in our life, One King we bow to. One master we follow.
Our life in relationship to His Word determines our lineage/family.
- Who we respond to – v. 37
- Words have no place in you
- Who we listen to – v. 38
- I am sent from My Father, you listen to your father
- Who we love – v. 42
- Who we understand – 43
- You cannot bear to understand. (Unable to understand)
- Who we hear – 47
- He who has ears to hear, let him hear. Mark 4:9
- With ears to him, let him hear. (Mark 4:9)
- Who we honor – vv. 48-50
- We either honor Christ or honor the enemy (Satan)
- Really only 2 options. No grey area
A true/believer is alive not dead – vv. 51-59
- Keeps/Cherish Him
- will never see death. (Spiritual life/Eternal life)
- He Glorifies Him
- Not self. Life is about Him, not us. HIS WILL NOT MINE OWN!
- He Knows Him
- Our assurance. ONE THING I KNOW….I KNOW HIM!
- Abraham knows and rejoices.