My sermon notes for Sunday, Nov. 26th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 9:8-34 – Living in the light of the world.
What does true faith look like?
What happens when we SEE THE LIGHT?
The man and his situation. (Physically and Spiritually)
- He was outside the temple (the presence of God)
- He was blind from Birth (physically and spiritually)
- He was helpless and hopeless (total dependency upon others)
What a desperate situation. Yet, out of nowhere in his daily routine of his life… Jesus shows up. What a great picture of grace?
The 6th sign/miracle demonstrates:
- 8:12 “I am the light of the World. Light/Darkness. It proves this.
- Jesus alone can cause the blind to see. (Physically and Spiritually)
- By doing so on the Sabbath demonstrates His fulfillment of the Old Covenant. Teaches the true meaning of the Sabbath.
- A great picture of true faith lived out. We see how to LIVE IN THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. He has just received his sight and now it seems everyone wants to hear his explanation.
As true believers today… our life should be lived out in a way that our life will answer the following questions. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU? WHO DID THIS?
A RUNNING COMMENTARY OF THE INTERACTIONS:
vv. 8-12 – The neighbors
- Those that knew him have recognized that he had been healed.
- The supernatural is being questioned.
- How were your eyes opened?
- He did not necessarily understand the details, but he did understand that he had been changed.
- Beggar shared exactly what happen. (Step by step…Very real and personal.)
- v. 12 – Where is He? I have no idea.
- Initially, he is not a Jesus expert. He just knows that he has been healed.
vv. 13-17 – The Pharisees
The neighbors first. Now the Pharisees.
- The when of the healing is now being question.
- They want to discredit the miracle.
- They wanted to intimidate the beggar.
- On the Sabbath. Mark 2:27 – Sabbath was made for man as a day of rest.
- Colossians 2:16–17 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.  These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. (ESV)
What is to be done on the Sabbath under the Old Covenant
- Works of necessity
- Works of mercy
v. 15b – keeps saying the same thing… I WAS BLIND AND NOW I SEE.
v. 16 – Division among the group. John 3:1-3 – Probably Nicodemus.
v. 17 – He is a prophet. The more faithful he is… the more he can perceive what took place. (PROGRESSIVE SANCTIFICATION/PROGRESSIVE LIGHT LIVING)
vv. 18-23 – The parents
- Thy are trying to discredit the supernatural by suggesting he was not born blind. Yet, God did do the supernatural.
- The world continues to question the supernatural and attempt to discredit the WORK OF GOD.
- The world questions Creation – Something from nothing.
- The world questions Salvation – Something from nothing.
vv. 24-34 – The Pharisees
v. 24 – notice the trickery. We KNOW he is a sinner. Trying to get him to think they discovered something about Jesus.
v. 25 – ONE THING I DO KNOW, I WAS BLIND, BUT NOW I SEE
- What an awesome testimony of real faith!!!!!
- Regardless of the pressures from the world. This should be our answer.
2 Timothy 1:8–14 –  Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,  who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,  and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,  for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher,  which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.  Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.  By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you. (ESV)
v. 28 – then they began to attack his character.
vv. 30-33 – to no avail… He them begins to teach them the truths of the Word.
- God does not listen to sinners
- He healed the blind… who else can do that?
- He is proving He is God. (what he says happens)
v. 34 – They would not believe and cast Him out.
THE WHAT NOW? HOW DO WE LIVE OUT THESE TRUTHS?
- What Jesus has done for us should be the most precious aspect of our faith and should motivate us to live for Him daily.
- He was more concerned about what Jesus did for him over everything else.
- ONE THING I DO KNOW I was blind but now I see.
- Not just who He is, or what we did, or some past event.
- Our faith should be based and motivate by the idea that Jesus Christ:
- Has forgiven our sin.
- Has opened my eyes to see.
- Has empowered us for living (basis of our righteousness).
- Is the source of all things holy and right.
- An unconverted heart will never embrace the supernatural works of God.
- Do not expect the world “to get it”
- Instead of conforming to the world, we need to proudly live out our faith…our Words and Actions should point people to Jesus!
- Pray, Proclaim, Persuade is our role in evangelism. In that order. (P,P,P, that they may see the light)
- The enemy/Satan will attack the TRUTH of God’s Word.
- You were not really blind? Jesus is not who you say He is. This cannot be right because it was on the Sabbath.
- The more we live out our faith/the Gospel… the sweeter our relationship with Christ becomes.
- The more he shared the more He understood about all that had taken place.
- God became bigger!
- How He did what He did.
- Luke 8:18 – PROGRESSIVE LIGHT LIVING
- Luke 8:16–18 –  “No one after lighting a lamp covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light.  For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light.  Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away.” (ESV)
- In heaven fully but also now progressively (the already and the not yet)