My study notes for Sunday night Dec. 17th. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Tim. 4:5-8
Finishing the life God has saved us to live.
Finishing the journey toward Christ-likeness
(For individuals, but also for the church)
We look at our life as a spiritual journey.
- We love the journey/mission/calling
- A start and a finish
- It is not just a decision for Christ, but a decision to FOLLOW CHRIST.
- We realize we are just passing through. 1 Peter 2:11-12
- We are sojourners & pilgrims.
- This is not our home.
- My treasures are in heaven. Matthew 6:19–21 –  “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (ESV)
- My focus should be on the things that matter for eternity
- We keep going – We persevere in the faith – Phil 3:12-4:1
- Our past (where we have been)
- The older we get the more difficult this becomes
- More years in the past then we have in the future
- Our future (where we are going)
It takes discipline, devotion, and dependence to complete the journey.
It is not for the faint hearted.
- Like marriage, parenting, college, military, and other tasks that require D,D, and D.
1 Timothy 4:6–16 –  If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed.  Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;  for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.  The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance.  For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.
 Command and teach these things.  Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.  Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.  Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you.  Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress.  Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. (ESV)
- Because we know it is tough (not for sissies are the faint hearted)
- Still battling the flesh
- Still battling Satan
- Because we will suffer
This is why scripture teaches that only those that are saved will persevere to the end.
- You cannot live this life out unless you are saved.
- The saved will and can live this life out.
- 1 John 2:19 –  They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. (ESV)
Developing a plan is important to keep us on pace for the journey.
- What is our plan? How will we get there?
- Seasonal plan (this year)
- A plan/strategy that will help me accomplish it.
- Writing it out. Personal accountability
- What I AM GOING TO DO.
- To be different, better, to be more efficient, and faithful.
AREAS TO DEVELOP A PERSONAL PLAN
- My daily walk in/with Christ and His Church
- My walk with God
- We love Him, and we love our daily walk with Him.
- I need to be active in prayer, reading, meditation.
- My passion and focus each day is on my RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS.
- A real relationship with a real person.
- My love and commitment to HIS CHURCH
- My time, talents, and treasures
- Where can I serve?
- How can I give?
- My family
- What do I want to see God do in my family this year?
- What is my role in this?
- My Vocation
- What steps do I need to put into place to be a better employee, boss, co-worker?
- My life on mission
- My service for/to the Lord in His community.
- What am I intentionally doing to encourage people in the Gospel?