My sermon notes for Sunday, Dec. 24th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
- Luke 2:29-30 – TO SIMEON – My eyes have seen your salvation. As we think about the birth of Christ this morning. Simeon knew he had seen his salvation.
v. 24 – The question. ARE YOU THE CHRIST? Are you our salvation? Are you our gift of life? (The Bread of Life/Light of the world)
This gift is a Divine Salvation – v. 26
You do not believe because you are not part of the flock. In the OT God called a nation to himself. Because of the New Covenant God is calling people to Himself.
God has always been the giver of all things:
- In the beginning God – Gen. 1
- In the end God – Rev. 22:1-5
- Everywhere in between is God
- Our birth – we give God the glory
- Our death – we give God the glory
- Our Life – we give God the glory
- In our salvation – we SHOULD give God the glory.
- Too many take it for granted
- Too many do not comprehend the love, mercy, and grace God has bestowed upon us BY ALLOWING US TO BE THE SHEEP OF HIS FOLD.
This gift is a Personal Salvation – v. 27
- Hear MY voice
- I Know them
- They Follow Me
Receive, is to believe
By grace through faith.
Trying to reconcile the two (God’s work and my responsibility and decisions in life)
It is a divine gift and it is a personal gift.
- You do not need to reconcile friends. God’s sovereignty and our decisions are not enemies.
- God is good, loving, fair, just, and in control of all things pertaining to life.
- He is creator, sustainer, and deliverer!
- Hebrews 1:1–4 –  Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,  but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.  He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,  having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs. (ESV)
- Colossians 1:15–20 –  He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.  For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.  And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.  And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.  For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,  and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. (ESV)
- They did not believe because they denied the truth & They did not believe because they were not the Lord’s sheep.
- YES TO BOTH. BOTH ARE TRUE.
- When I first got saved all I knew is that I came to Christ and received forgiveness of my sin. As I grew in the Word I was able to see God’s loving and sovereign hand in my salvation.
- We see so many examples in our life…as we look back we see God’s control over every aspect of our life.
God saved me. I came to Christ.
- I will be saved because God has done a work in my life.
- I am saved because I repented of my sin and received the gift of Christ’s righteousness.
- IT IS A DIVINE UNION
This gift is an Eternal Salvation – vv. 28-30
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one is able to snatch them out of my Father’s hand.
What God has started…HE WILL BRING TO COMPLETION!
- Kept by God’s grace
- I give them eternal life
- Kept by God’s promises
- They will never perish
- Kept by God’s power
- No one will snatch them out of My hand