My sermon notes for Sunday, Jan. 7th as we prepare to enter into our “21 days of prayer and fasting.” Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
I do not want to be normal
LESSONS FROM THE EARLY CHURCH
SERVING, SEEKING, & PRAISING GOD
WHY ARE WE SO NORMAL? Yet, so many people in history were not.
- People we read about that have done such wonderful things for the Lord. LEGACY LEAVERS. Missionaries, Preachers, Lay people, Churches.
- This is not about notoriety or success. This not about the biggest and the best (jobs, careers, ministries or churches)
- This is about faithfulness and calling. This is about making an impact for the Kingdom.
This is why we are setting aside 21 days of prayer and fasting.
Fasting – Setting aside food or other things for spiritual purposes.
- so that I may truly know Him
- be holy before Him
- live a faithful life unto Him
We fast, so we can pray and seek after God. We pray so that we can encounter God in such a supernatural way that something will take place that only He can get the credit for it.
- In our private life
- In our family life
- In our church life
Early this morning as I thought about my goals for the next 21 days… I decided:
- I want to LIVE A LIFE OF PASSION AND PURPOSE. A passion and a purpose for HIM!
- To know Him and Make Him know
- To love Him and love the things that He loves
- Realizing every day is a gift from Him and that He has wonderfully made me and gifted me and called me to live my life impacting others for Him.
- (two relationships with Him and with others)
I DO NOT WANT TO BE NORMAL. I WANT TO DARE TO BE DIFFERENT. DIFFERENT FOR HIM. I WANT GOD DO SOMETHING IN MY LIFE! I WANT GOD TO DO SOMETHING IN THE LIFE OF MY FAMILY!
GOD DO SOMETHING IN THE LIFE OF MY CHURCH! I WANT GOD TO DO SOMETHING SO GREAT THAT ONLY HE CAN GET THE CREDIT FOR IT! A great picture of this is found with the church of Acts.
Getting into the text:
A LIFE OF SERVING GOD
(the early church and how they were living their life)
- In the midst of ministry
- Seeking, Doing, and living. Striving to be a faithful and obedient follower of Jesus Christ.
- 2 – preaching and teaching Christ (Gospel)
- There was a change of plans. (life through a curve ball at them…in the midst of them being faithful before the Lord)
- They were taken before the council
- Persecution for being faithful.
- HOW DO WE RESPOND WHEN THINGS DO NOT GO OUR WAY?
- Optimistic and excited about their calling and ministry
- They knew they were doing what God had called them to do.
- They knew they were an audience of ONE.
- They went to their friends
- The importance of “one another”
- The body…(our family and friends)
A LIFE OF SEEKING AND PRAISING GOD
(They came together and immediately began to worship
and call on the name of the Lord in prayer)
- 24 – Sovereign Lord – Created, Sustains, Directs, Guides
- 28 – Your hand and plan to do.
- 29 – And now Lord…
- Grant to your servants
- 29 – your servants. ALL ABOUT SERVING HIM.
- To continue to speak your Word with boldness(Gospel)
- As you stretch out YOUR
NOTICE THE RESULTS:
- 31 – Place was shaken
- He affirmed who He was
- He affirmed His presence in their life
- 31 – They were filled with the Holy Spirit
- A yielding to the Spirit in our life.
- The spirit controlling our life.
- the fullness of the Spirit’s working
- His power in and through us.
- Spirit guiding and controlling our life
The church of Acts was different, but why?
- Same Lord.
- Same Gospel.
- Same Spirit.
- Same mandate.
- Same mission.
What made them different was their life. They lived differently.
- Served differently than most.
- Sought differently than most.
- Praised differently than most.