My sermon notes for Sunday, Jan. 21 as we continue our “21 days of prayer and fasting.” Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Rejoicing in the Gospel.
We Got This! I can do it because of what I have in the GOSPEL
(Day 14 of the 21 days of prayer and fasting)
As we have fasted and prayed the past 14 days I hope that we have looked deep within our heart to see who we are in Christ. Hopefully we have seen afresh and a new WHO HE IS and WHO WE ARE based on WHO HE IS. Hopefully, we have come to truly REJOICE IN THE LORD!
- The joy of our salvation in Christ.
- The joy of our relationship with Christ.
- The joy of our service to Christ.
v. 1 – Rejoice in the Lord
- Looks forward and summarizes Chap. 3
v. 4:1 – Stand firm thus in the Lord
- Looks backward and summarizes Chap. 3.
Rejoicing that THAT THERE IS A TRUE Gospel– vv. 1-6
Rejoicing in Grace and not Works
Beware of the false (counterfeit Gospel)
- Legalism – establishing requirements for salvation beyond obedience, repentance, and faith in Jesus Christ
- What you must do to be saved and live the saved life.
Look out for anything that teaches different vv. 1-2
- Dogs, evil doers, mutilators of the flesh.
- Pretty clear that Paul takes the basis of true biblical conversion/salvation pretty serious.
Put no confidence in the flesh vv. 3-7
- Who he was. What he did.
- His flesh…based on the law. Apart from Christ
Count these things as loss v. 7
- Worthless, meaningless
- Put down, forget about, never take up.
The surpassing worth of knowing
- Embrace the glories of the Gospel (Christ)
Rejoicing that JESUS IS THE TRUTH of the Gospel – vv. 7-10
The Lordship of Christ and His righteousness
Surpassing Worth of Knowing Christ Jesus my Lord
- Works, Law is rubbish
Righteousness through faith in Christ
- From God
- Depends on faith
That I may know Him
- Power of His resurrection
- By any means possible
- Strive, follow, (Know, Grow, Go) My sanctification. My perseverance
- Continue in Him…until the resurrection of the dead
Rejoicing in the hope we have as we LIVE OUT THE TRUTH GOSPEL – vv. 11-4:1
By any means possible attain the resurrection from the dead v. 11
Not already obtained v. 12
I press on to make it my own
- Here is where our spiritual life comes in.
- The balance of bad works and good works
I forget what is lies behind v. 13
I strain forward to what lies ahead v. 13
- Already in Christ, but growing Christ
- Progressive sanctification
- Not there yet. Keep moving. Growing everyday
Imitate faithful followers v. 17
- The idea of each one of us “making disciples”
- I am followings someone…someone is following me
Remain faithful to the GOSPEL v. :16
- Hold true to what we have attained
- Enemies of the cross
- Some will…some want.
STAND FIRM IN THE LORD – 4:1