My sermon notes for Sunday, Feb. 11th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 11:17-57 – Lazarus Come Forth
God’s Glory on Display
- This is His greatest and most powerful of His 7 miracle. (it is the exclamation point of the 7)
- Tension is mounting between the religious leaders.
- They have the ONE before them but fail to recognize who He is. (even after raising the dead… they do not believe)
- Jesus raises the dead. (Spiritual death to Spiritual life)
- A foreshadow of Jesus death and resurrection
- God’s glory displayed through Christ.
- Martha and Mary reached out to Jesus because their brother Lazarus has died. Jesus was close to them and loved them.
- Bethany is 2 miles from Jerusalem.
- Opposition has been mounting against Jesus in this major city.
- The proximity of this miracle is no accident, word would spread rather quickly.
- Lazarus has been dead 4 days. Jewish culture believed the spirit hovered over the body for 3 days and then departed. (to the Jews… Lazarus is REALLY dead
- Forms a bridge between His public ministry and His private ministry to the disciples (preparing them)
I am the resurrection and the Life – vv. 17-27
His deity – I AM the great I AM
- John 6:35 – I am the bread of Life
“No one who comes to Me will ever hunger and thirst again.”
- John 8:12 – I am the light of the world
“He who follows Me will not walk in darkness.”
- John 10:7 – I am the door of the sheep
“If anyone enters by Me he will be saved and go and find pasture.”
- John 10:15 – I am the great shepherd
“I know My own and My own know Me.”
- John 11:25 – I am the resurrection and the life
“He who believes in Me will never die.”
- John 14:6 – I am the way, the truth, and the life
“No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
- John 15:1 – I am the true vine
“He who abides in Me will bear much fruit.”
Marth believed He could heal, but did she believe he could raise Lazarus?
- Martha had faith, but did she have a real PERSONAL FAITH IN JESUS. vv. 25-27
- Believe, Live, Believe.
- Facts plus Faith. 27 she had pretty good theology (facts), yet v. 39 she reminds Jesus that Lazarus is really dead (lacks faith)
Jesus wept – vv. 28-37
His compassion and humanity
Deeply moved and troubled – connotes anger and agitation (literally…horse snorting)
- Over the ravages of death that entered humanity because of sin.
- Over the reaction of the mourners who were responding as ones who had no hope.
- By the prevailing mood of sorrow that sin/death has brought to Mary and the others. (sin in general)
Jesus wept – grief over suffering and death
Lazarus come out – vv. 38-44
His power and authority
His glory…the visible display of His invisible perfection (A.W. Pink)
- Jesus brings life in the midst of death.
- Here physical yet pointing to the spiritual.
Lifted up His eyes to the Father.
- The trinity at work…Father, Son and Spirit
- Jesus point all the glory towards heaven.
- Humble and meek. He prayed. What a great reminder of our own spiritual dependence.
With a loud voice… Come out
- 1 Thess. 4:16-17 – The Lord will return with a loud shout.
-  But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.  For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.  For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.  For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.  Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.  Therefore encourage one another with these words. (ESV)
- By the Word…Lazarus came forth. From death to life.
- By the Word…today we come forth from death to life
- Jesus the Word… The Bible the Word
- Only the Lord Jesus has absolute power over the material and spiritual world.
- Take those grave clothes off… HE IS A NEW MAN.
- Touch him and see
Increasing Conflict – vv. 45-57
His mission and purpose. REDEMPTION
Some did not and went to Jerusalem
- “Romans will come and take away our place”
- They were worried about Rome, rather than worshiping and honor God.
v. 53 – From that day on they made plans to put Him to death.
- THE TIME HAS COME
v. 54 – Jesus did not walk openly.
- Jesus knew what awaited Him, but it was on His timetable and not mans.