My sermon notes for Sunday, May 6th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 14:15-31 –  “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,  even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.  Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.  In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.  Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”  Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?”  Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.  Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.
 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you.  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.  You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.  And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe.  I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me,  but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us go from here. (ESV)
Let not your hearts be troubled.
THE GIFT OF THE HELPER.
14:1 – Let not your hearts be troubled… BELIEVE IN GOD, BELIEVE ALSO IN ME
- Jesus in continuing His Words of encouragement and comfort to the disciples
- He is going away, but He must. And when he does… HE WILL give us the comfort we need.
Because, If you truly believe in Me then…
- You will do greater works than Me. – v. 12
- What ever you ask in my name the Father will do. – v. 13
- You will have me as your Lord. – v. 15
- If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
- If we obey, then we are saying He is Lord. If we obey we are saying we understand why it is important to obey. (we must obey, we need to obey, we desire to obey, we know we are blessed when we obey)
I know this will and can happen, because… I am sending another Helper. The Spirit of Truth
- Another – the same as. (reference… opposite)
- Helper – parakletos – come alongside
- encourage, comfort, exhort, help, counsel.
THE GIFT OF THE HELPER (Key Words)
Presence – vv. 18-20
- He will not leave us as orphans.
- He will come to us.
- We will see Him
- IN THAT DAY. Resurrection/Ascension
Love – vv. 21-24
- We love when we listen, trust, and believe (OBEY/KEEP)
- WE OBEY… when we believe and trust
- Love Him, Loved by the Father
Teach – vv. 25-26
- HE WILL TEACH. ALL THINGS TO YOU
- Spirit of God and the Word of God
Peace and Rejoicing– v. 25-28
Phil 4:4-9 –  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;  do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (ESV)
- Peace given to us
- Rejoice, because He has gone to the Father. WE REJOICE BECAUSE HE HAS DONE IT!
Security – 29-31
- He is coming, BUT HE HAS NO CLAIM ON ME (JESUS).
- HE HAS NO CLAIM ON ME. WE ARE IN CHRIST and CHRIST IS IN US.
- The devil can temp but cannot conquer.