My sermon notes for Sunday, June 3rd as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 15:18-6:4 – The world will hate you
 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.  If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.  Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.  But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me.  If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.  Whoever hates me hates my Father also.  If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin, but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father.  But the word that is written in their Law must be fulfilled: ‘They hated me without a cause.’
 “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.  And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning. (ESV)
 “I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away.  They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God.  And they will do these things because they have not known the Father, nor me.  But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you.
An overview of Chap. 15
15:1-11 – Our relationship with Christ – The Vine
15:12-17 – Our relationship with believers– Love one another
15:18-6:4 – Our relationship with the world – They will hate you
The world will hate you – vv. 18
- Who is “you” – believers/regenerate/born again/the true church
- Who is the “world” – The mass of unbelievers whose values, morals, and attitudes are opposed to the glory and truth of God and all that He is and stands for.
- Hate – Active ill will in words and conduct. a persecuting spirit. To disagree with, be opposed to. Everything will be fine until you “bring up the truth” Just like with Jesus.
- The point of contention – TRUTH. Who God is. Who Jesus is. Why He came. Why we need Him. What that means to us. How we should live. What we believe.
- Expect it, Embrace it, Experience it (live through it)
Because we are not part of them – vv. 19-20
- If they persecuted Jesus, then they will persecute you.
- If they will listen to Jesus, then they will listen to us.
- Why… they are dead, but you are alive. You are new creations in Christ
- God chose you out of the World.
- The supernatural work of God. Regeneration. When the Spirit quickens our heart and mind.
- Our salvation, Our calling. WE ARE CHOSEN TO BE DIFFERENT.
Because they do not know God – v. 21
- They cannot see who He is. Cannot believe who He is. Cannot believe what He has done through the Gospel. (no supernatural eye opening has taken place)
Because they are enslaved to sin – vv. 22-25
- Dead, Depraved. Blind, Helpless
- Saul/Paul before his conversion. He thought he was doing right. They world knows no difference themselves.
BUT… We are born again, we know God, we are free from sin. WE HAVE THE SPIRIT OF GOD LIVING WITHIN US. – vv. 26-6:4
Remember, Satan has come to kill, steal, and destroy, but Jesus came to give life more abundantly. John 10
- Even when we are persecuted and hated. DO NOT FALL AWAY
- We have life in Christ.
- Not Yet… our ultimate glory.
- A true believer has the spirit
- The world/unbeliever will not
The does/has come to do
- Convicts unbelievers of sin. John 16
- John 3 – Born again
- Seals believers. Eph. 1:3
- Baptizes them into union with Christ
- Indwells believers
- Fills believers
Therefore, those that have the Spirit are His. Those that do not have the Spirit are of the world.
The What Now: How do these truths change our life.
- Be in the world, but not of it.
- The hatred of the world is directed toward GOD. Not us. They do not have an issue with us. Their issue is with God, His Word, His truth
- Love one another. Believers love each other… remember. We need each other. We need to stick together.
- Trust the power of the Word and the Spirit.
- Who do you want approval from… the world or the Lord. Man pleasers or God pleasers. (see verses below)
- Live confidently and obediently. Know God is working in your midst. Join Him in what He is already doing.
for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God.
But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.
For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.