My sermon notes for Sunday, June 10th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 16:5–15 – “I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you.  But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’  But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart.  Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.  And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:  concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;  concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer;  concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.  When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.  He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.  All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
John 16:5-15 – The Helper is coming
I must go way – vv. 5-7
(He did go away)
I am going to Him who sent me
- fulfill what I came to do
- Return to the Father and my heavenly role.
- To the cross, then to glory.
Nevertheless, I tell you the truth
- It is to your advantage
- My death, burial and resurrection
- The Helper will come
The Helper will come – vv. 8-15
(He did come)
Jesus told them He was sending the Helper – John 14:16-17, 23-26: 15:26-27
- Helper – come along side, like me (another Me)
Convict the world – vv. 8-11
- Of sin – the truth about man. Who he really is.
- 2 Sam. 12:7 – Nathan to David. You are that man.
- Of righteousness – the truth about God. Who He really is.
- Of judgement – the truth about the inevitable combination of man’s sin and God’s righteousness.
- NOTICE… The Spirit came to do this. ONLY the Spirit can do these. We cannot nor is it our job. IT IS THE ROLE OF THE SPIRIT
- Our role is to live as missionaries fulfilling the Great Commission
- Invest, influence, and invite
- pray, proclaim, and persuade
Reveal truth and give direction to those that are His – vv. 12-13
- You cannot bear them now, but …
- They did not get it them, but after Acts 2, they turned the world upside down.
- He MAKES KNOWN TRUTH.
- Only way to explain the world. TRUTH IS REVEALED. WE WOULD NEVER AND COULD NEVER FIND IT ON OUR ON.
- Speaks and declares on the authority of God
- Spirit of God and the Word of God
- The idea of absolute truth, because it is from God.
Glorify the Son – vv. 14-15
- Spirit will reveal Jesus perfectly TO and THROUGH those that are His.
- If Jesus is the central figure of all Scripture. Then naturally the Spirit will make Him the central figure in our life.
- The Holy Spirit makes Christ prominent. Christ becomes a BIG DEAL to ME and to THOSE I am BEARING WITNESS TO.