My sermon notes for Sunday, June 24th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon.
John 16:25–33 –  “I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech but will tell you plainly about the Father.  In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf;  for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.  I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father.”
 His disciples said, “Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech!  Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God.”  Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe?  Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me.  I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (ESV)
Final teaching with the disciples. VERY IMPORTANT, PERSONAL
- He is reminding them of all that He has been trying to teach them.
- He is telling them the TRUTH they need to hear:
- His upcoming crucifixion and the grief/doubt that will follow,
- He is also leaving them with words of COMFORT
- Sorrow to Joy
- You will be overcomers. YOU WILL BE OK. YOU CAN DO THIS.
Words of TRUTH and COMFORT
Love, Faith, and Hope
Love – 25-27a
The love the Father has for His. He loves you because you loved Me
- God loves the World – A general love
- Gods loves those that are His through Christ – Specific love
- Judas left… they stayed. He did not see/grasp Jesus for who He truly way.
- Through repentance and faith. People who see/grasp Jesus for who He truly is.
- A faith that lead to life change (devotion and obedience/followship)
- The difference between what I MUST DO AS A CHRISTIAN and WE I DO BECAUSE I AM A CHRISTIAN.
They could not at first grasp it, but an HOUR IS COMING WHEN I WILL TELL YOU PLAINLY
- When they receive the promise of the Helper they will truly understand the LOVE OF THE FATHER
- All that we have in the Father, through the ministry of the Son and made known through the Spirit
Faith – 27b-32
Believe in ME. Trust in ME
Their current faith
- They had an immature faith/trust
- They would a few hours from now scatter and deny Him
- Yet, Jesus would not be alone. The Father would be with Him.
Their future faith
- They will have a mature faith/trust
- They would not scatter in fear but scatter in the power of the Spirit
- They are not alone because the LORD will be with them. Just as the Father was with the Son. (LO I AM WITH YOU)
Hope – v. 33
As we hope in Christ, we will overcome the world
The FOUNDATION that hope is built upon
Peace – You may have peace
- Lack of hostility. Inner peace and assurance
- We are not alone. We have the helper
Courage – Take heart – have courage
- Belief that leads to action. Stand firm, live out
- I CAN do it, because He had done it.
- Get my heart right, get my mind right, Get my life right.
Victory – Jesus has overcome the World
We to can be overcomers now as we Love and Follow after Christ.
We to will be overcomers for all eternity As we reign with Him for all eternity.
ALREADY, BUT NOT YET