My sermon notes for Sunday, July 15th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 17:20–26 –  “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,  that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,  I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.  Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.  O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me.  I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (ESV)
Jesus Priestly Prayer for the Church (future believers)
Jesus has already acknowledged the Father’s presence in His life and the lives of the current disciples. So, this prayer for future disciples/church was not one of uncertainty, but rather of confidence and love. (of expectation and hope)
- Those that will believe through the Word proclaimed by the current disciples.
- The expansion of the church. Their testimony and life. Jesus knew the outcome. Matthew 16:18 –  And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (ESV)
Gospel Unity– vv. 20-23a
As one with Us
- Those who will believe in me through their word – v. 20b
- Belief through the Word. Biblical faith, Born again (His holiness, our sinfulness, Jesus death, Repentance and Faith)
- They may be in us – v. 21
- I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one – v. 23\
Christ in me, Me in Christ
- John 15 – The Vine. In Christ.
-  “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.  As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.  These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. (ESV)
- Galatians 2:20 –  I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (ESV) CHRIST IN ME
This means a true understanding of who He is and who I am.
- My Savior and Lord. Me as a redeemed child of God. A New creation. Growing and changing into the likeness of Christ.
As one with one another – vv. 21-22
- Our love and concern for other believers
- v. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,
- God’s glory manifested and experienced through the presence of the Holy Spirit.
- The glory displayed when Jesus willingly and sacrificially went to the cross. GOD’S GLORY ON DISPLAYED THROUGH HUMBLE OBEDIENCE AND SERVICE. We too should display God’s glory as we serve others.
Gospel Witness – v. 23b (21a)
v. 21a – so that the world may believe that you have sent me
v. 23b – so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me
His prayer for ONENESS was because He knew the ONENESS will lead to the TRUE TESTIMONY of the Gospel.
- Our oneness in the Gospel. (With one another, and with the Lord.)
- THIS ULTIMATELY IS WHAT LIFE IS. ONENESS WITH HIM AND THEM. ONENESS IN PURPOSE AND LIFE!!!!!!!
Our life should be the GOSPEL ON DISPLAY
- Words and Life/Action
- This was His prayer. FATHER LET THE WORLD SEE THE GLORY AND THE GREATNESS OF THE GOSPEL IN THE CHURCH!!!!! Let the world see their oneness in relationship and purpose.
- Whom We serve by how we live
- Our worship and our life
Demonstration – let me show you how this works. SO THE WORLD MAY KNOW
- Too often we live our life to be just a “presentation”, but our life needs to be a demonstration.
Gospel Destiny (presence)– vv. 24-26
Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be where I am – v. 24
- You gave me. We are His. Throughout John we have been reminded…. THOSE GIVEN TO JESUS.
- Will be with me
I will continue to make it known – v. 26
Destiny – Dictionary.com
- something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune.
- the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.
- the power or agency that determines the course of events.
He knew the suffering and sacrifice that will be faced by those that are His. But He also knows the blessing and joy of abiding with Him for all eternity.
v. 26b – that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.
- The same love that the Father had for the Son (up to this point John 17) is the same love that He has for His RIGHT NOW. Yes we have heaven awaiting, but we have the LOVE OF THE FATHER NOW.