KOINONIA – Lessons from the church of Acts
- Filled with the holy spirit.
- Touched and empowered by God
- Proclaim the Gospel
- People responded
- People were added
Birth of the NT Church 2:42-46
- Devoted (continuing with steadfast purpose)
- Koinonia (fellowship)
- Worshiping as the body
Things to think about:
- If we have been saved, then we are empowered.
- As we love Christ we will be drawn to the things that He loves. We do things because we love Jesus. We do things as an expression of our love for Jesus
- We are in the sheep business, not the goat business. We develop sheep ministries, the Sheep will come. (evangelism and discipleship)
- Jesus Himself said, “I will build My church” Matt. 16:18 (Chic-fi-la Not bigger but better. People will come to better). BE FAITHFUL TRUST IN CHRIST. FAITHFUL AND TRUST IN HIS WORD.
Socializing compared to Koinonia
- Common interests of the world and our culture. News, Sports, Weather, Politics, Work, and Family. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING, BUT IT SHOULD NOT BE THE ONLY THING.
- Common interests in things of the Lord.
- Eternal matters of life. LIFE CHANGING MATTERS OF LIFE
Most churches are terrible at Koinonia
- We are not going to be most churches.
Reasons for lack of true Koinonia
- Lack of spiritual maturity. (nothing to talk about…milk and meat) We would rather talk of earthy things rather than spiritual
- Doctrinal differences
- EVERYTHING WE BELIEVE WILL BE BIBLICAL
- B F & M 2000
- Personal preferences
- We like certain people
- Not wired that way
- Generational lines
- Unreconciled relationships
Strategy for encouraging Koinonia
- Be intentional
- When we gather (Worship and Meals)
- Think KINGDOM RELATIONSHIPS
- Others before me.
- Raise the Bar
- Do not accept or expect it. (leaving SS to go home, nursery workers, volunteering to do other things, love to serve in the DOING things, but not the SPIRITUAL)
- Biblical creativity with our time and meetings
- Sunday night is for discipleship (growing and changing)
- Do what we need to do, not what we always have done
- Make necessary changes
- Balcony and sitting together
- Work at it
- Work at it some more
2 Major Goals and Expectations:
- Growing in our knowledge and understanding of the Lord and His Word
- Learning to live together as the body of Christ.
- Seasonally discipleship groups throughout the year (fall and spring)
- Expected for all leaders and teachers within the church
- Starting at the church (key is church!)
- Lead by facilitators
- Expectations must be met
- Topical/Book driven
- I already have 4 years of material
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Guided Koinonia questions
- NOT talking just to be heard
- NOT Socializing
- NOT Share groups (not repeating the prayer list)
Example of questions:
- 3 statements from the reading that really encouraged you.
- Keys verses from the reading
- Key truths learned
- Changes I need to make in my life to apply these truths
- Practical steps that we need to take to live out what we are learning.
- Mixed groups
- We ride together, eat together, sit together……
- You do not have to speak/participate (Just developing relationships and reading the material will be so encouraging.)
- No big group options
- No reason for not wanting to participate