My sermon notes for Sunday, Oct 21st. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Acts 11:19-26 “Life Together. The Faithfulness of His Church” part 5
Acts 11:19–26 –  Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except Jews.  But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Hellenists also, preaching the Lord Jesus.  And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number who believed turned to the Lord.  The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.  When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose,  for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord.  So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul,  and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians. (ESV)
First things first about this passage:
- They were first called Christians. The first missionary movement!
- As they loved and lived for Him they experienced Him. They were able to recognize the hand of the lord. God’s favor, God’s grace, God’s power.
- Once our heart is devoted to the things of God our life will naturally follow.
They lived a Gospel centered life – vv. 19-20
To them the gospel was not just a thing you share so people can go to heaven. Rather, the Gospel was their life.
They Were Trusting God– v. 19a
Those that were scattered
- In the midst of difficult times.
- As the lived…THEY LIVED FOR HIM
- We can trust Him in all our circumstances.
They Were Sharing the Gospel – vv. 19b-20
Speaking the Word. Preaching the Lord Jesus.
- We can live a moral life, but a lost person can live a moral life. People need to see a moral life and hear that Jesus is the means of that life (Red Cross and Disaster Relief)
- When Jesus Christ has changed your life then that becomes the message that is proclaimed.
- Normal people. Not pastors or apostles.
- It was a normal life to the early church. SHARE CHRIST.
- They understood the THEOLOGY OF LOSTNESS. DEAD IN OUR SINS, THE ONLY HOPE IS CHRIST!
The hand of the Lord was with them – vv. 21 & 24b
God had His hand and spiritual favor on their life.
- A great number believed and turned to the Lord.
- BELIEF IN HIM…TURNING TO HIM
- A great number. We can trust the Spirit and the Word to do what only the Spirit and Word can do.
- Seems they became part of one another. WE DO NOT DO THE CHRISTIAN LIFE ALONE.
They were sensitive to the things of the Lord – vv. 22 & 25
- His direction and leading
- Seeking His will.
- Listening and obeying the Spirit of God (Spirit and Word)
- Heeding to the things of God (careful attention)
- When one walks with the Lord they can hear clearly from the Lord.
- God using His people for His kingdom.
- Listen and Obey. Sent Barnabas.
- Listen and Obey. Barnabas went to get Paul.
They experienced the Grace of God – 23a
He saw the Grace of God.
- God is always working, but do we see Him.
- Do we acknowledge Him.
- God’s peace, power, and presence
They understood their purpose– 23b & 26a
- OTHERS. HIM AND THEM
- Investing. Reproducing, Multiplying. To often in life we here in regard to money. “I need to do a better job investing for the future” This is so true with our spiritual life as well.
- Goal always Christlikeness. REMAIN FAITHFUL TO THE LORD.
- Discipleship=Learning to live under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Loving, Serving, Growing.(Loving, Growing, Serving)
- WITH THE PURPOSE of LIVING OUT THE CHRISTIAN LIFE.
- For an entire year they encouraged them to remain true.
- For an entire year they were Comforting, Teaching, Strengthening
- By the WORD and by their LIFE
The community was transformed – 26b
- And the DISCIPLES WERE FIRST CALLED CHRISTIANS.