I WILL GO
Sending and Going
My sermon notes for Sunday, Dec 2nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
- Answering the call to go.
- Being a missionary… starting where you are.
- Finding our identity in Christ.
- Lessons to learn from Isaiah’s calling.
Acknowledge the Lord for who He is – vv. 1-4
- Sitting upon a throne
- High and lifted up
- His sovereign rule. (He rules. We answer to Him)
- Train of His robe filled the temple
- Honor and Dignity
- Seraphim – Bright ones
- Six wings. covered face and feet. Unworthy to be in His presence and worship Him.
- 2 wings to serve Him. 4 wings. Humility
- Holy, Holy, Holy
- Lord of Hosts
- Set apart from humanity. Above His creation
- Whole earth is filled with His glory
- Yet, the whole earth is filled with His presence.
Recognize our own heart and condition – v. 5
- Woe is me.
- Unclean lips. Unable to sing praise
- I dwell in the midst of unclean people (grave condition of humanity)
Receive the good news of forgiveness and sanctification – vv. 6-7
- Your guilt is taken away
- Sin atoned for
- In Christ we have sins forgiven and clothed with His righteousness. (bad is gone and ability to do right is present)
- Isaiah 61:10 – I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV – For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- 1 Peter 2:24 ESV – He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.
Listen and respond – v. 8
- Whom shall I send
- He rules the universe, but he sends us!!!!
- Divine Commission
- Here am I! Send me. (a natural reaction)
- When we truly HEAR THE VOICE OF GOD. ALL WE CAN DO IS RESPOND.
Go and Tell – vv. 9-13
With clarity – vv. 9 – 10
- Go and say to this people
- Keep hearing, BUT. Keep seeing, BUT. Hearts dull
- No matter what they want to hear. Keep telling the truth. (they were deaf to the words of Isaiah, yet God did follow through and punish them.)
- We are separated from God and we need a Savior
- The worlds message is wrong.
We must not worry about HOW IT IS RECEIVED as much as WHAT WE ARE TELLING.
With steadfastness – vv. 11-12
- Until the cities are waste
- Until the Lord removes
With purpose– v. 13
(pointing people to Jesus)
- The Holy Seed
- Point people to Jesus
- Isaiah 9:6-7 – Unto us a child is born
- Isaiah 11:1-9 – Stump, root of Jesse
- 49:6 – To the nations.
Isaiah was pointing to the new covenant. Isaiah was pointing to what we know have in Jesus Christ. With the same burden and passion of Isaiah we need to be people who do acknowledge God for who He is and for what He has given us in Christ.
We must preach Jesus as Savior and as Lord. We must preach the need for the Gospel and the change that the Gospel brings. NEVER CHANGE THE MESSAGE TO GET A BETTER RESPONSE.
We need to get Jesus right. We need to get the Gospel right. We need to preach, persuade, and pray that people will come to Jesus.
Inviting people to COME TO THE GREAT I AM
The 7 I am’s of John’s gospel.
- TO PARTAKE OF THE BREAD OF LIFE
- John 6:35 – I am the bread of Life
- Our only satisfaction
- “No one who comes to Me will ever hunger and thirst again.”
- TO COME TO THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
- John 8:12 – I am the light of the world
- Our hope in the midst of darkness
- “He who follows Me will not walk in darkness.”
- TO ENTER THE DOOR & EMBRACE THE GREAT SHEPHERD
- John 10:7 – I am the door of the sheep
- John 10:15 – I am the great shepherd
- Our provider, keeper, guide, and protector
- “If anyone enters by Me he will be saved and go and find pasture.” “I know My own and My own know Me.”
- TO EXPERIENCE A NEW LIFE
- John 11:25 – I am the resurrection and the life
- Our hope I death
- “He who believes in Me will never die.”
- TO TRULY COME TO THE FATHER
- John 14:6 – I am the way, the truth, and the life
- Our only means for purpose and life
- “No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
- TO GROW IN CHRISTLIKENESS
- John 15:1 – I am the true vine
- Our source of productiveness
- “He who abides in Me will bear much fruit.”
We have a message to tell. TO THE NATIONS.
Where is your nation, where is your mission field?
From AP to the ends of the Earth.