2 Corinthians 5:16–6:2 – The Message of Reconciliation part 1
Recognition – v. 16 – we regard no one according to the flesh
From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer.
Regard – To know/perceive not by outward appearances, but by the heart.
According to the flesh
- We are sinners by nature
- Adams sin plunged humanity into sin – Rom 5:12-21
- We are sinners by action
- Rom 3:10
- Therefore, we are separated from God
- Enemies and out of Fellowship
- Alienation from God. Now. While on earth.
- Col 1:21
- Eph 2:12, 4:18-19
- Punishment for all eternity.
- Matt 25:41
- 2 Thess 1:7-9
EVEN THOUGH we once regard Christ in human terms, he does no longer
- Once, No Longer.
- Paul did acknowledge Jesus as a real living person, but know Paul knew Him as Savior and Lord.
- A truly saved person will understand that Jesus is more than a historical figure.
THEREFORE, We should view people not by the flesh, but within the heart. (not humanly, but from a spiritual stand point)
- Our desire should be for seeing people come to true saving faith in Christ.
- Pray, Proclaim, Persuade, and then Pour our life into them.
- Trust the working of the Spirit
- Get the Gospel right.
- Understand the outcome. Decisions that manifest into disciples
Regeneration – v. 17 – new creations
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
A new creation is someone:
- Was dead, but now alive
- Had no relationship, but now a personal one (BY NAME)
- Living in sin, living in newness of life
- Eternal damnation, to eternal glory
If anyone in IN CHRIST
- We have accepted His sacrifice as payment for our own sin.
- Placed in a relationship with
- Walks and lives with Christ moment by moment.
The Old Has Passed
- Old values, ideas, way of thinking (OUR HEART)
The New Has Come
- Perfect tense. Past action with continuous results.
- That is why we are over-comers, more than conquerors. Romans 8
Reconciliation – vv. 18-19
All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;  that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
From God – Through Christ – Us to Himself
- It must be from God, because we are unworthy of our own. We have nothing to offer God that can pay the penalty of our sin.
- Through the BLOOD OF JESUS. What can wash away our sins…HE IS SAVIOR AND LORD
Not counting sin against us
- PAID IN FULL
- Stop living in the past/flesh.
- We are blood bought redeemed child of God
Romans 6:1–14 –  What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?  By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?  Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?  We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.  We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.  For one who has died has been set free from sin.  Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.  We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him.  For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God.  So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.  Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.  For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. (ESV)
Entrusted us with this ministry and the message
- Ministry – word denotes humble service, such as serving meals.
- Restoring man with God, forgiving their sins.
- THIS IS THE MESSAGE. RECEIVE FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SIN. BE RECONCILED TO GOD!
- BECOME A NEW CREATION… IN CHRIST!!!!!!!
- Only one way. THROUGH THE GOSPEL