My sermon notes for Sunday, May 5th as we continue our study through 2 Corinthians. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Corinthians 6:11-7:1 – Dare to be Different
A Call for acceptance and affection vv. – 6:11-13
- mentions them by name. Very personal and meaningful.
Widen your hearts also
- He desired for them to have the same affection for him that he had for them.
- “I speak as to children widen your heart” As a child responds in affection to their parents, Paul was requesting for the church to love him and his ministry in the same way.
- To accept what he represented, stood for and proclaimed.
AS A PARENT PLEADING WITH HIS CHILDREN…PLEASE KNOW I LOVE YOU AND ALL I WANT IS FOR YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU LOVE ME AND TRUST ME AND LISTEN TO ME. (He knew he was sent as an apostle of the Lord. He knew what he was speaking was the TRUTH) Heb. 13:7 & 17
A Call to be different – vv. 6:14-7:1
vv. 14-18 – Do not be unequally yoked – THE COMMAND
- joining together for a common spiritual effort
- THE PROBLEM IN OUR TIME – Let us all just come together for the sake of unity.
What it does not mean
- Refusing to associate with others that do not follow our set of PERSONAL CONVICTIONS. (KJV ONLY, type of worship)
- Refusing to associate with other believers that may view things a little different (people we will be in heaven with) (Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist)
- Refusing to associate with lost people.
- Retreating completely from the world.
What it does mean: 5 questions.
- Phil 1:9-11 – Key is discernment
Do not be. – The Logical Reasons.
- IT MAKES NO SENSE… SAY IT OUT LOUD!
- I4 questions that prove the foolishness is foolish
- Partnership (one’s nature) – righteousness and lawlessness – (sharing and participation) we do not have anything in common.
- If my goal is to Glorify God with all my life. 1 Cor. 10:31
- If my goal is to seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. 6:33
- Can their goals match my goals?
- Fellowship (one’s nature)– light and dark – (koinonia) Common interests with others in things of the Lord. The idea of believers doing spiritual life together. Being united in Christian purpose and serving alongside each other.
Why would I want to have a deep and meaningful spiritual relationship with those that do not believe the truth.
- Accord (harmony) – Christ with Belial (worthless) – What harmony does Christ have with Satan?
- 1 John 3:10 – who are children of God… those who practice righteousness.
(The 4th is a summary of 1-3)
- Portion –- Believer with unbeliever – Sphere, Realm, or participation in life. What do we spiritually have in common?
- As believers we move in a different direction. Live within a different kingdom. Follow a different Master
Do not be. – The DOCTRINAL REASON (question 5)
Agreement –Temple of God with idols – Close union. Bond of mind and spirit.
- It is very dangerous. TEACHINGS OF THE DEMONS – 1 Tim. 4:1
- We are afraid to offend others more than we are afraid to offend God.
- Where is the temple of God in the new covenant? WE ARE.
- Collectively – 1 Cor. 3:16-17
- Individually – 1 Cor 6:19-20
- An idol is anything that replaces in God in our life.
- AS GOD SAID
- I will dwell and walk among My People
- Come out
- Touch no unclean thing
- He will welcome us
- Admit into one’s favor
- He will be our Father
- He will welcome us
v. 7:1 – Cleanse yourself and perfect holiness
 Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God. (ESV)
THEREFORE – a call to action.
Since we have these promises…THEN
Cleanse yourselves and perfect holiness
- Be ye holy because I am holy. 1 Peter 1:16
- Our holiness is not an option
- Flesh and Spirit
- our outside follows our inside. – OUR HEART!
Bring to Completion
- Finish what has already been started.
- Our effort
In the fear of God
- Not duty, but out of love and respect of the Lord
Hebrews 13:7 – Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. (ESV)
Hebrews 13:17 –] Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. (ESV)
Philippians 1:9–11 –  And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment,  so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,  filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (ESV)
1 Corinthians 10:31 – So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (ESV)
Matthew 6:33 – But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (ESV)
1 John 3:10 – By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother. (ESV)
1 Timothy 4:1–2 –  Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,  through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, (ESV)
1 Corinthians 3:16–17 –  Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?  If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. (ESV)
1 Corinthians 6:19–20 –  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,  for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. (ESV)
1 Peter 1:16 –  since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” (ESV)