2 Corinthians 8:16-9:5 – “God’s Grace and Our Giving” part 2
My sermon notes for Sunday, June 14th as we continue our study through 2 Corinthians. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Corinthians 8:16–24 –  But thanks be to God, who put into the heart of Titus the same earnest care I have for you.  For he not only accepted our appeal, but being himself very earnest he is going to you of his own accord.  With him we are sending the brother who is famous among all the churches for his preaching of the gospel.  And not only that, but he has been appointed by the churches to travel with us as we carry out this act of grace that is being ministered by us, for the glory of the Lord himself and to show our good will.  We take this course so that no one should blame us about this generous gift that is being administered by us,  for we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord’s sight but also in the sight of man.  And with them we are sending our brother whom we have often tested and found earnest in many matters, but who is now more earnest than ever because of his great confidence in you.  As for Titus, he is my partner and fellow worker for your benefit. And as for our brothers, they are messengers of the churches, the glory of Christ.  So give proof before the churches of your love and of our boasting about you to these men. (ESV)
2 Corinthians 9:1–5 –  Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry for the saints,  for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the people of Macedonia, saying that Achaia has been ready since last year. And your zeal has stirred up most of them.  But I am sending the brothers so that our boasting about you may not prove empty in this matter, so that you may be ready, as I said you would be.  Otherwise, if some Macedonians come with me and find that you are not ready, we would be humiliated—to say nothing of you—for being so confident.  So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction. (ESV)
- Does our handling of God’s provision (money) reflect our understanding of grace? What God has done for us? Who we are in Christ? How God provides for us? How God will bless us?
- Does our personal and church budget reflect a desire to part of what God is doing? Missional Giving. Missional Living. (Redemption/Sanctification)
- Do we give for the right reasons? (Kingdom Giving/Gospel Giving)
- Do we understand that we are part of something much bigger than ourselves? We are not just individuals trying to live the Christian life out. (You me and the Lord… do not worry about me)
An earnestness for the THE purpose – vv. 16-18
The purpose not a purpose. He has THE purpose, often churches create a purpose.
- His glory. The Glory of His Church
- The Gospel – Redemption
- John 20:30–31 –  Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book;  but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. (ESV)
- Being Disciples / Making Disciples (Matt 28)
- KINGDOM PICTURE – The church as being the church
- Corinth, Jerusalem
- Paul, Titus, this brother (preaching the Gospel), church in Jerusalem, churches helping
An understanding of personal and corporate accountability – vv. 19-22
- Appointed by the church to travel. A display of unity.
- For the Glory of the Lord himself
- Every aspect of our monies should glorify God and not self or the church itself.
- Show our good will
Think of the Body concept. Many making one.
- Individually to God
- Individually to one another.
- If we are part of the body, then we are responsible for to one another. It is personal between us and the Lord, but it is also corporate “we are the body”
- As a people to the congregation.
- As a committee handling the money. As ministries spending the money. TO THE LORD and TO HIS CHURCH
An attitude of unity and teamwork– vv. 23-24
- Fellow Worker
- Messengers of the church
- Glory of Christ (what a testimony of these men)
Doing more together than what we can do alone
- The SBC concept. (Cooperative Program)
An obedience that inspires and encourages others – vv. 9:1-5
- As we give
- As we see the fruits of true Gospel ministry
- As we experience the Grace of God as a church
- As people see us life a faithful life of TRUST
- As we see God do more than we could ever do on our own