My sermon notes for Sunday, Aug 4th as we continue our study through 2 Corinthians. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Corinthians 10:1-6 – “Fighting the Good Fight of Faith” part 2
1 Timothy 1:18; 6:11-12, 2 Timothy 2:1-3; 4:6-7
- Standing up for what is right.
- Being proactive with our faith… (Our life making a difference)
- Waging the spiritual fight. Are we ready?
- They are accusing Paul. He has done nothing wrong, yet is being falsely accused. How does he respond?
- How do we respond?
- Are we too passive?
- Some brag about their heart for unity and togetherness. Peace at all cost.
- Are we too aggressive?
- Some brag about their roughness/brashness
- We need to be people of conviction, but also peace makers.
- Are we too passive?
Here we have a great picture of Fighting the Good Fight
- A Christlike Spirit – v. 1
- A Deep Conviction – v. 2
- A Victorious Battle Plan – vv. 3-6
A Christlike Spirit – v. 1
I, Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold toward you when I am away!
- Meekness – free from anger, endurance through offences. Free from anger, bitterness. Lack of desire for revenge.
- Gentleness – Leniency toward others. Not as harsh.
- OF CHRIST – He is our example.
A Deep Conviction – v. 2
I beg of you that when I am present, I may not have to show boldness with such confidence as I count on showing against some who suspect us of walking according to the flesh.
- Confidence (in sound biblical truth)
- He believed in the truth so much, that he was willing to do what needed to be done to keep things right.
A Victorious Battle Plan – vv. 3-6
For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.  For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.  We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,  being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.
- Know our enemy
- Know our weapons
- Know our strategy
We know our enemy – We do walk according to the flesh – v. 3
- The physical life. The flesh and blood
- The material world. We live in it, but it is not our enemy.
BUT, We do not wage war according to the flesh
- Not according to the material world, but according to the Spiritual world.
- Our weapons are not of the flesh – Human ingenuity, worldly wisdom, clever methodologies.
(We do not need to find a new methodology or strategy to win.)
Enemy is not physical, but spiritual
- Eph 6:10-12
We know our weapons – Believers have DIVINE POWER – v. 4
- Our weapons are spiritual
- Eph 6:13 (he lists his weapons)
- Belt of truth, Breast plate of righteousness, shoes of the Gospel, shield of faith, helmet of salvation, sword of the Spirit.
These weapons are POWERFUL
The Power of:
- The knowledge of God – THE KNOW
- Truth – John 17:17; Heb. 4:12
- Obedience to Christ – THE DO
- Salvation – BELIEVE THE TRUTH
- Who Christ is. What He came to do. How it impacts ones life.
- Believe on. Come to. Trust in. Follow after. Live for.
We know the strategy – God and His Word– vv. 5-6
- We Destroy – Able to destroy
- Strongholds– The place of refuge for cities. The ideologies of the World. (not demons)
- Arguments/lofty opinions – thoughts, ideas, philosophies. The wisdom of the world.
Raised against the knowledge of God
- The attack is against the TRUTH of God. (Who He is, What He has said, What He has done)
- We need to be people who realize the battle is always a battle against God and HIS WORD.
- Remember Genesis.– Did God really say that?
- We take captive – Bringing every thought captive.
- Romans 12:2 – Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (ESV)
Take every thought captive to obey Christ
- Every false religion, belief, ideology, philosophy
- Literally… take captive by the point of a sword/spear
- EVERY THOUGHT
We take it captive with the Sword of the Lord (Eph 6)
- The Spirit of God
- The Word of God – THUS SAITH THE LORD!
THE PICTURE THE CHURCH OF CORINTH WOULD HAVE SEEN THIS IS A VIVID MILITARY PICTURE…We destroy the fortress to the ground, march the prisoners out, and bring them into submission.
- Paul was serious about how serious the early church was to be about their role of being people of LIGHT in A DARK WORLD.
How about us today? It is an ongoing battle.
Today I see 2 perceptions of people and the church:
- Angry and against everything. They trust the Bible but they tend to not have not many face to face dialogues
- Discussions with just those that believe like you do. (I am going to take my toys and go home)
- Facebook/Twitter is not the greatest picture of biblical dialogue
- Passive and calling for unity at all cost. Let’s just all get along and play well together.
- The importance of Word is downplayed.
- Absolute truth is in question
- Dialogue is based on feeling rather than truth.
Some appear to loud… others have no backbone.
It is a tough balance in our current society.
- We need to stand for truth and be vocal about it.
- We also want to be able to develop relationships and allow the Spirit and God and the Word of God to work in the heart and minds of people.
- Some need to slow down and take a deep breath
- Others need to just DO SOMETHING.
THE WHAT NOW:
- In your faith and your (sanctification) GROWING in the knowledge of God through His Word.
- Love God. Love HIS WORD. TRUST HIS WORD
- Love others (goal is not being right, but to see their heart change)
Be patient. (allow God to work)
- God can stand up for Himself
- Know that He will use you
- Go and make a difference.
- Read, Study, and Pray
- Dare to be different
- Dare to make a difference
- FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT
1 Timothy 1:18 – This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, (ESV)
1 Timothy 6:11–12 –  But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.  Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (ESV)
2 Timothy 2:1–3 –  You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus,  and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.  Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. (ESV
2 Timothy 4:6-7 –  For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (ESV)
Ephesians 6:10–20 –  Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.  Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,  and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.  In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;  and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,  praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,  and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,  for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. (ESV)
John 17:17 – Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. (ESV)
Hebrews 4:12 – For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (ESV)