My sermon notes for Sunday, Sept. 15th as we continue our study through 2 Corinthians. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Cor. 12:1-10 – Biblical Boasting part 2 – My Weakness and His Grace
Intro Remarks and Thoughts:
- A vision of paradise and a thorn in the flesh
- Experiencing Grace in our trials and sufferings
- When I am weak… He is strong
- Contentment is found in Christ. (Who He is, What He has done, How it impacts me)
Me nothing. Lord, you everything – vv. 1-6
Paul had experienced Visions and Revelations
- Saw, Heard, and Experienced. A real event.
Yet, he knew nothing would be gained from by sharing his experience.
- Does it evangelize you? Equip you? Build up the body?
- What is the KINGDOM VALUE?
- Where the saints of God dwell.
- Does not give specifics, because that is not what is important.
14 years ago this happened, yet it is not mentioned but once in this letter.
- If this would have happened today there would be book deals, TV shows, Movies.
I will not boast in this, but only MY WEAKNESS
- He was willing to make himself weak, so that God would get all the glory.
- Prestige, Popularity are the ticket today.
- LOOK AT ME…SHOULD BE LOOK AT HIM
So that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me.
- Our message, our character, our life, our service. THAT IS WHAT HAS THE GREATEST IMPACT.
- What God does through me!
APPL – Nothing wrong with desires and goals that could bring about an aspect of success. Nothing wrong with “being successful in life”, but ONLY IF IS IT FROM A BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE.
- Does it point to who we are IN CHRIST. Does it give GOD THE TRUE GLORY or DOES IT GLORIFY US.
Thank you for my thorn – vv. 7
So to keep me from being conceited. – v. 7
- This thorn has a purpose. It was beneficial.
- God’s has a purpose in all things.
- God’s sovereignty in and over our life
- Did he realize it immediately that it was a benefit, or did he look back and was thankful for it???
Thorn, Messenger of Satan – v. 7
- Sharp object. Pierce.
- Physical aliment, People, or Demons. WHO KNOWS?
Harass me – v. 7
- “to strike with a fist”
- Present Tense – Frequent. On-going.
- Satan was frustrating them (To Doubt, To Deny, To Replace)
- God used it for GOOD… not punishment.
In my weakness is where I experience Your GRACE – v. 8-10
His Prayer, God’s Response – vv. 8-9
- Take it away (Our natural response)
- I AM GOING TO LEAVE IT IN PLACE
- My Grace is Sufficient (perfect tense FINALITY) – v. 9a
- HIS UNMERITED FAVOR
- WILL SATISFY.
- My Power is made Perfect in Weakness
THE POWER OF GOD’S GRACE to believe the Gospel, to understand and apply the Word of God, to overcome temptation, to worship Him…. AND TO ENDURE SUFFERING
When human strengths abound, the effects of divine power may be overlooked. NOT JESUS BUT JON.
- It is through weakness that WE SEE THE POWER OF GOD. VERY PROFOUND STATEMENT.
- We attach power to success. What we have obtained or can do.
- God says His power in manifested through weakness.
- Seen in salvation – Lost and Found. Dead to alive
- Seen in sanctification – Me nothing. Him everything.
THEREFORE I WILL BOAST THE MORE GLADLY OF MY WEAKNESS, SO THAT THE POWER OF CHRIST MAY REST UPON ME. – v. 9b
- Rest upon – take up residence
God did not say He would remove the thorn, but to provide the strength necessary to live for His glory in the midst of it.
I AM CONTENT. V. 10
Because God’s power is perfected in our weakness. (not is spite of)
- Big difference between:
- Typical – Well, I have a weakness… I know God can use it for His glory.
- Biblical – The weakens IS THERE so that God can get the glory. We must be weak to display His strength.
- Self-Sufficiency or God-Dependency
APPL – Think about this. God KNOWS our true motives and our heart. So therefore, He knows when and how we need to be made WEAK so that we can ALLOW HIS GRACE to REST UPON US!!!!
CONCLUSION – A review
God’s Grace is Sufficient
God’s power is made perfect in weakness
I will boast of my weakness.
The power of Christ may rest upon me. (abide, dwell)
THEN. NOW. THEREFORE
I am content
When I am weak, then I am strong
FINAL BOAST!!!!! – Lord – MY PRAYER IS SHOW me… ME, so I can experience YOU
2 Corinthians 12:1–10 –  I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.  I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows.  And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter.  On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses— though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me.  So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.  But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (ESV)