Why Share the Gospel – The Message (part 2)
It is imperative that we GET THE MESSAGE RIGHT.
We need to be careful to keep things in perspective:
- God at the center and not man
- A Person instead of a plan
- Conviction instead of comfort
- Embracing and submitting to the one who is both Savor and Lord rather than just acknowledging true facts.
- Repentance from sin instead of acceptance of of a person
- God’s grace instead of man’s choice.
- Radical transformation instead of affirmation
Consider the following things we often hear: (that are not truly biblical reasons for salvation)
- God wants to make you prosperous
- God wants to heal and make you healthy
- God wants to provide for whatever needs you feel you deserve and desire (your dreams and wishes)
- God wants you to have an abundant life now
A man-centered gospel is more about our needs and desires.
The true gospel puts God at the center of the message
- Because he is the center of EVERYTHING.
- THIS IS HIS CREATION.
- We are created in HIS IMAGE
Does our message make us excited about what God can do for us on earth or does it get us excited about GOD and our relationship with Him?
God Centered Gospel
- God is the starting point of the Gospel
- God is the vehicle of the Gospel
- God is the goal of the Gospel
This puts the hope is in the Message, not in the method.
Here are 10 truths that should be the foundation of how we believe, share and live out the Gospel.
- They should drive our prayers, our presentation, and persuasion. (part 1 sermon)
(Outline from Children Desiring God Conference. April 2007)
- God is sovereign creator of all things.
- Psalm 19:1; Psalm 24:1-2
- God created you. You belong to God. He is your ruler. We are accountable to Him.
- God created you for His glory.
- 1 Cor. 10:31; Isaiah 43:5-7
- God created you to show how great He is.
- God is holy and righteous
- Deut. 32:4; Rom. 7:12
- God’s commands are holy and righteous. You must obey Him at all times.
- Man is sinful
- Romans 3:20, 23
- You have disobeyed God’s commands. You are a sinner.
- God is just and is right to punish.
- Romans 1:18; 6:23a
- You deserve God’s punishment of death and hell. You are helpless to save yourself.
- God is merciful. He is kind to undeserving sinners.
- Psalm 145:8; Eph. 2:8-9
- You must depend on God’s mercy in order to be saved.
- Jesus is God’s holy and righteous Son
- John 1:1, 14; 1 Tim. 1:15
- Jesus came into the world to save you
- God put the punishment of sinners on Jesus
- Isaiah 53:5; Rom. 5:8; 2 Cor. 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24
- Jesus died on the cross to be the punished in your place.
- God offers the free gift of salvation to those who repent and place their faith in Jesus.
- Mark 1:15; John 3:16-17; Acts 4:12
- God tells you to believe in Jesus and repent of your sins and you will be saved.
- Those who trust in Jesus will live to please Him and receive the promise of eternal life (enjoying God forever in heaven)
- Luke 9:23; John 11:25; 1 John 2:25; Psalm 16:11
- If you are trusting in Jesus for your salvation, you must follow Him. Jesus has promised that when you die He will bring you to heaven to live with God and enjoy Him forever.
Psalm 19:1 – The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. (ESV)
Psalm 24:1–2 –  The earth is the LORD’s and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein,  for he has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers. (ESV)
Isaiah 43:5–7 –  Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you. I will say to the north, Give up, and to the south, Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth,  everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” (ESV)
1 Corinthians 10:31 – So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (ESV)
 For I will proclaim the name of the LORD;
ascribe greatness to our God!
 “The Rock, his work is perfect,
for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity,
just and upright is he. (ESV)
Romans 7:12 –  So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. (ESV)
Romans 3:20–23 –  For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (ESV)
Romans 1:18 –  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (ESV)
Romans 6:23 –  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (ESV)
Psalm 145:8 – The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. (ESV)
Ephesians 2:8–9 –  For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (ESV)
John 1:1 –  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (ESV)
John 1:14 –  And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (ESV)
1 Timothy 1:15 –  The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. (ESV)
 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed. (ESV)
Romans 5:8 – but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (ESV)
2 Corinthians 5:21 – For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (ESV)
1 Peter 2:24 – He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. (ESV)
Mark 1:15 – “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” (ESV)
John 3:16–17 –  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. (ESV)
Acts 4:12 – And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (ESV)
Luke 9:23 – And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. (ESV)
John 11:25 – Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, (ESV)
1 John 2:25 – And this is the promise that he made to us—eternal life. (ESV)