My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Dec 15th as we continue our study through THE SONGS OF CHRISTMAS. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help follow as we walk through the Word each week. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
 And his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied, saying,  “Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for he has visited and redeemed his people  and has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David,  as he spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets from of old,  that we should be saved from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us;  to show the mercy promised to our fathers and to remember his holy covenant,  the oath that he swore to our father Abraham, to grant us  that we, being delivered from the hand of our enemies, might serve him without fear, in holiness and righteousness before him all our days.
 And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High; for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways,  to give knowledge of salvation to his people in the forgiveness of their sins  because of the tender mercy of our God, whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high  to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.” (ESV)
After the birth of John the Baptist. Zechariah is enabled to speak and he immediately goes into praise for what God has done and will ultimately do.
vv. 67-68a – Because of God’s presence
- Filled with the Holy Spirit
- He has visited
v. 68b – Because God has Redeemed His People
- Delivered them
- Made Them His own
vv. -69-71 – Because God has Provided the ultimate victory
- horn of salvation. Conquering King
- THE POWER OF SALVATION that resides in Christ.
- Psalm 132:17 – There I will make a horn to sprout for David; I have prepared a lamp for my anointed. (ESV)
vv. – 72 – 73 – Because of God’s Continued Faithfulness
- The fulfillment of His promises
- God did what He said He would do.
- God’s plan was always His plan.
- From Gen. 12 till now.
vv. – 74-75 – Because of the New Relationship
- NOT RELIGION AND WORKS, but a NEW HEART, NEW CREATIONS. PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP!!! (veil is torn.)
- might serve without fear
- Personal and New.
- Obedience and Service
- In holiness and righteousness
- Because of the righteousness of Christ. Veil torn.
- Before Him
- Worship due to our relationship.
vv. -76 -79 – Because a new day had arrived.
- John the Baptist is ushering in a NEW DAY.
- He is the forerunner of the Messiah
- Malachi 3:1 – “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts. (ESV)
- Malachi 4:5 – “Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes. (ESV)
This new Day brings with it:
- THE ALREADY AND NOT YET – FUTURE GLORY IS NOW, YET NOT FULLY REALIZED
- Isaiah 60:1-3 –  Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD has risen upon you.  For behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the peoples; but the LORD will arise upon you, and his glory will be seen upon you.  And nations shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising. (ESV)
- 77 – the knowledge of salvation in the forgiveness of sins.
- Spirit will come to convict and point to Jesus.
- Provide true forgiveness
- 78 – Because of God’s tender mercies.
- 79 – give a new light
- To give light to those in darkness.
- The darkness of the Old. The light of the New.
- To Guide one’s feet in peace
- Peace with God
- Peace with others
- Provide the hope and direction of a new WAY of life.