My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Dec 22nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help follow as we walk through the Word each week. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
When God comes to US– Luke 2:1-20
Isaiah 7:14 – Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Isaiah 8:8 – and it will sweep on into Judah, it will overflow and pass on, reaching even to the neck, and its outspread wings will fill the breadth of your land, O Immanuel.”
Matthew 1:23 – “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).
God did come to US. He came to us through the Lord Jesus Christ.
God proclaimed His coming
- Through His eternal purposes
- Through Heavens proclamation
- Through the Shepherds praise
GOD’S ETERNAL PURPOSE PROCLAIMS HIS COMING– vv. 1-7
GOD’S WONDERFUL PLAN WAS FULFILLED
vv. 1-2 – In those days
- When He comes, He comes at a particular time and in particular place.
- It is a real God for a real people. Personal…Real…
vv. 3-5 – Each to his own town.
- When He comes, He arranges the circumstances of our lives to suit His purposes and not our own.
- God has a plan. His plan is about redemption and restoration.
- He does it in His time and not when it may seem the most convenient.
- He puts us where we need to be and when we need to be there
vv. 6-7 – SHE GAVE BIRTH
- When He comes nothing can interfere or prevent Him from accomplishing His wonderful will. (no room in the inn)
Luke 1:26-38 – The birth foretold to Mary
- Favored one – full of grace
- Lord is with you
- Call His name Jesus – Lord Salvation
- Great…Son of the Most High – His deity.
- Throne of David
- Reign over the House of Jacob forever
- Kingdom will be no end.
THE HEAVENLY HOST PROCLAIM HIS COMING vv. 8-14
- The glory of the Lord
- Good news of great joy
- For all people
- For all mankind.
- All that will believe
- Savior is born
- Christ the Lord’
- On earth peace
- Justification – no more separation and hostility.
- Among those with whom He is pleased
- God’s mercy and grace extended to those who can and will believe.
- When He comes He sees people through His eyes not the worlds. Nothing special or unique about shepherds. Matter of fact, they are very low on the social/economical totem pole.
- When He comes He brings great news. News of life and peace. Newsworthy of all our praise. We should not fear of fret. Just believe and obey.
THE SHEPHERDS PRAISE HIS COMING – vv. 15-20
- Let us Go.
- They Heard, Went, Saw, Made Known, Praised
- Lord made known to us.
- The spirit of God touched their Mind and Heart
- Glory God – v. 20
- Once they saw Christ, their life began to focus on the GLORY OF GOD.
For us today:
- Everything revolves around the Gospel.
- Who Jesus is.
- Who sent Him.
- What He did.
- How He impacts OUR LIFE.
- When we have an encounter with Jesus our life will begin to GLORIFY GOD.
- It is one thing to say I BELIEVE IN JESUS. I AM A CHRISTIAN.
- It is another to realize that our LIFE SHOULD AND CAN BE BRINGING GLORY TO GOD.
It is both an eternal realization and an external manifestation.
Who we know should change how we live.