My sermon notes for Sunday night, Jan. 19th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Timothy 1:1-7 – Foundations for a Faithful Life
2 Timothy 1:1–7 –  Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God according to the promise of the life that is in Christ Jesus,  To Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
 I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day.  As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy.  I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.  For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands,  for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (ESV)
Possibly the last words written by Paul.
From imprisonment in Rome to Timothy the pastor in Ephesus
- Very personal in nature
- To encourage faith and courage
A plea to remain faithful for the sake for the Gospel
- Individually as a Christian
- Corporately as a Church
- IN THE WORK
- His life. In the midst of struggles
- WITH THE WORD
- His teaching in the midst of struggles
A plea to finish well.
- To continue with what has been started.
Foundations for a faithful life
A Sacrificial Life
- Apostle, Child – vv. 1 – 2a
- We learn and we share.
- Not just lecturing but investing.
- Come and Follow Me. Take up the Cross Daily
A Sincere Faith
- Grace, Mercy, and peace from God – v. 2b
- Clear conscience – v. 3
- Not perfect but forgiven.
- Not perfect but trying.
- Praying – v. 3
A Courageous Spirit
- Fan the Flame – vv. 6-7
- Fan the Holy Spirit.
Gift that is within you (charis)
- The Grace Gift that God as given each of us to SERVE HIM.
Not of fear (timid, cowardly)
- Productive energy
- Eph. 3:20
- Right attitude toward others
- Proper control of our life.
- Mind and life.