My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Jan 19th as we continue our study through the Book of Isaiah. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help follow as we walk through the Word each week. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Isaiah 2:1-22 – Where is Your Hope?
Understanding what lies ahead should encourage one to live right now. Did the people of Judah have a false hope? Did they truly think all was well? What about us? Where do we place our hope?
Hope of the Messiah – Guilt of the People – Promise of Redemption
The Hope – vv. 2-5
It should come to pass in latter days – v. 2
- When God’s purposes will find their fulfillment
- The ultimate rule and reign of Christ
- The Zion that is… to the Zion that will be.
- The already and the not yet
Is this particular context (the OT) it was the coming of the Messianic era. In the NT the last/latter days was the time between the 2 comings of Christ. They understood they were living in the last days… until all was made new.
The mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established
- This is a picture of the eternal peace from Zion. A wonderful picture of not just physical temple, but the PRESENCE OF GOD. THE STORY OF REDEMPTION.
- Whether a literal kingdom or a spiritual kingdom THEY BOTH REPRESENT THE PRESENCE OF GOD.
- Some “prophesy experts” focus too much on the details and miss the big picture.
- Remember… all of scripture points to THE GOSPEL.
His Supremacy – v.2a
- On the highest of mountains.
His Universality – v. 2b
- All nations shall flow to it.
- Notice the fulfillment – Acts 2:9-11
His Truthfulness – v. 3
- Teach us His ways
- Walk in His paths
- Out of Zion goes the Law
His Peace – v. 4
- Sword into plowshares, spears into pruning hooks.
- Lack of war for the nation. Peace with God for the redeemed.
His Invitation – v. 5
- Walk in the Light. Live for God. Honor, worship, and obey Him as a nation.
- John 8:12 – Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (ESV)
- John 12:35 – So Jesus said to them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. (ESV)
The Guilt – vv. 6-21
Their Sin – v. 6-10
God has rejected/abandoned them because of:
- False worship and divinations – 6a
- False Alliances – 6b
- Their trust in others, demonstrated a lack of thrust in God.
- Love of Wealth – v. 7
- Lack of satisfaction.
- Military – v. 8
- False hope. Only God can deliver.
- Full of pride – v. 9
- Haught looks. Living full of self in the presence of God.
His Judgement – vv. 11-21
Is at a particular time – vv. 11-12a
- Lord alone will be exalted on that day – v. 11
- For the Lord of Hosts has a day – v. 12a (12, 17, 20)
With God there is not cyclical time. Time is linear.
- A First Day – Genesis 1:5 – God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day. (ESV)
- A Last Day – John 6:39 – And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. (ESV)
- It will be a day of terror on mankind. Upon those that have rejected His splendor and majesty. (vv. 10, 19, 21)
- Accepting God for WHO HE IS (our current situation… we have created God in our own image)
God will do away with all the treasures of the heart. – vv. 12b-17
- All that is important to them. All they value
God will do away with all false religions – vv. 18-21
- In that day mankind will cast way – v. 20
- A universal picture. All the ism’s will be done away with.
- They will be cast away because of their worthlessness.
The Promise (invitation)– v. 22 (v.5)
A command/reminder of to the people. Which is a promise of redemption.
STOP REGARDING MAN
- Stop trusting in self and man and put your trust in God.
- Stop trusting in the temporal and start trusting in the eternal
- Stop trusting in the earthly and start trusting in the supernatural.
Walk in the Light
- And start walking in the light of the Gospel.
- Trust in Christ.
- Live now!
LIVE WITH A BIBLICAL EXPECTATION. REALLY BEGIN TO PRAY… YOUR KINGDOM COME!!!!!
Matthew 6:9–10 – Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.  Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. (ESV)