My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Jan 26th as we continue our study through the Book of Isaiah. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help follow as we walk through the Word each week. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Isaiah 3:1-4:6 – God’s Judgement and Glory
Judah had abandoned God’s ways and was under the judgement of the Lord. He has the right to usher in His judgement. He has this right because of who He is…THE LORD GOD OF HOSTS v. – 1
The current condition is a sign of the judgement, but there is also a judgement yet to come.
The Judgement Now
(their current situation is a sign of God’s hand of blessing and protection being removed)
- The weakening of the moral and spiritual leadership.
- The weakening of the social order.
THESE SHOW THE JUDGEMENT OF GOD. CRIPPLING LEADERSHIP AND SOCIAL ORDER ARE A SIGN OF GOD’S JUDGEMENT UPON GOD’S PEOPLE.
The Judgement To Come
- Fall of the Kingdoms. (722 and 586 B.C.)
- The Day of the Lord. God’s ultimate wrath poured out on all unrighteousness.
In this text we do see a laying out of God’s judgement, but because of the Grace and Mercy of the Lord we can also see the promise of His Glory.
THE JUDGEMENT OF THE LORD 3:1-4:1
The What – 3:1-7
A Failing in:
- The Economy – v. 1
- Trusted leadership – vv. 2-3
- Men of Rank
- Social Order – vv. 4, 6
- Relationships – v. 5
The Why – 3:8-12
Because of what they say and what they do – v. 8a
- Speech and deeds against the Lord
Which is… Sinning against God – v. 8b
- Against the Lord, defying His glorious presence.
- Open (with pride they sinned) – v. 9 –They do not hide.
For they have brought evil on themselves – v. 9
YET – the righteous will eat the fruit of their deeds. – v. 10
Isaiah gives two examples of the WHAT AND WHY of this judgement. The leadership and the women of the nation of Judah.
1. As demonstrated in the leadership – 3:13-15
The Lord has placed leadership into our life for structure, order, and purpose. IN SOCIETY and IN THE CHURCH. THEN and also NOW. So goes the leadership, so goes society.
The Lord will enter into judgement with the elders and princes of people – v. 14
- Devouring the vineyard (God’s people)
- Crushing my people. Declares the Lord of hosts. – v. 15
- Exploit rather than protect
- Destroying rather than building up (current situation with men in athletics…we are blaming CTE on bad behavior… home life)
2. As demonstrated in the culture – 3:16-4:1 – (Women in particular…Sensuality, Sex, & Self Esteem)
Think of the role women play in our society. The heart of the family unit. So goes the family, so goes the community. (Men are the head, but women are the heart)
Haughty and walk with outstretched necks – v. 16
- Sensuality and self esteem
- More concerned about beauty in themselves rather than in God.
- Psalm 50:2 – Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God shines forth.
- 1 Peter 3:4 – but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. (ESV)
God will judge.
- Make bald and lay bare their secret parts. – v. 17
- Men will fall by the sword… gates shall lament and mourn – vv. 25-26
- Seven women and one man… eat our own bread… wear our own clothes… only let us be called by your name – v. 4:1
The Glory of the Lord – 4:2-6
In that Day – v. 2 The coming Messiah. Fulfilled in CHRIST.
The branch of the Lord – v. 2
- New growth from a dead and decaying log.
- Beautiful and Glorious. Fruit of Land. Pride and Honor
Jeremiah 23:5 – “Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. (ESV)
Zechariah 3:8 – Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, you and your friends who sit before you, for they are men who are a sign: behold, I will bring my servant the Branch. (ESV)
Zechariah 6:12 – And say to him, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, “Behold, the man whose name is the Branch: for he shall branch out from his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD. (ESV)
- Will be called holy – v. 3 / Cleansed – v. 4
- Spirit of judgement – v. 4 / Spirit of burning – v. 4
- Judgement and sifting
- Cleansing and refining
- Cloud by day and fire by night – v. 5
- All the GLORY there will be a canopy – v. 5
- Booth & Refuge – v. 6
- It is a picture of God leading the Israelite’s in the wilderness
- The Lord’s presence, protection, and covering! ALLOWING HIS PEOPLE TO WORSHIP IN THE MIDST OF HIS GLORY.
We know today that the TRUE GLORY OF HIS PRESENCE is only experienced because the TEMPLE VEIL was torn. We know today that the only HOPE we have is found in the GLORY OF NOT THE OLD TEMPLE, but in the NEW TEMPLE. FOUND IN JESUS!!!!!!
John 2:13-22 – 19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
John 2:13–22 –  The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.  In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there.  And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables.  And he told those who sold the pigeons, “Take these things away; do not make my Father’s house a house of trade.”  His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for your house will consume me.”
 So the Jews said to him, “What sign do you show us for doing these things?”  Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”  The Jews then said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?”  But he was speaking about the temple of his body.  When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken. (ESV)