My sermon notes for Sunday night, Feb. 16th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Tim. 2:1-7
 You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus,  and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.  Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.  No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.  An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.  It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops.  Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. (ESV)
Paul was encouraging Timothy to finish what had been started. FINISH FAITHFUL.
Guard the good deposit – 1:14. His salvation. He is a new creation. Born again.
Be strengthened – 2:1 – be strong, stand, grow. IN HIS GRACE
What it takes
Teacher – v. 2
Knowledge, Passion, Patience
- heard – a student yourself. Knowing and Growing
- entrust – deposit for safe keeping
- to faithful men
- knowing and growing.
- What is a disciple.
- Who are we discipling?
Soldier – vv.3-4
Endurance, Dedication and Focus
- Share in/endure suffering – expect it
- Dedication to our superior – the lordship of Christ
- Our dedication is not to a group, church, or pastor…but to the Lordship of Christ
- Not entangled with the affairs of life – stay focused
Athlete – v. 5
Activity & Direction (obedience)
- We must compete – get in the game
- The game is living everyday with the joy and passion for who we are in Christ and what we are yet to become.
- Our calling
- Saved to Serve. HIM and OTHERS
- We must compete by the rules
- Not crowned unless
Farmer – v. 6
Diligence, Patience and Expectation
- Hard working – everyday, preparing the soil
- With an eye to the harvest
- Waiting… yet with hope.