John 6:35–40 – Confidence in our Assurance
Continuing from last week, but also addressing the needs of this week and the weeks to come.
WE NEED TO JUST KEEP IT REAL PLAIN AND REAL SIMPLE.
- Do you know you have trusted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? (not trying to make everyone doubt, but vehemently wanting everyone to know)
- Are you living for the Lord, right now with your life?
- Are you placing your hope in the things of God… right now in the midst of this crisis?
- DO YOU HAVE ASSURANCE OF WHO YOU ARE IN CHRIST?
YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE A BELIEVER AND THEN REST AND STAND IN THE CONFIDENCE THAT YOUR ARE.
v.. 35 – MY ASSURANCE. The believing. Coming to. Trusting in Christ. Our decision for Christ.
- I AM – I am God, I am the great I am
- Exodus 3:14 – God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
- Revelation 1:8 – “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (ESV)
- Bread of life…the basics of life and necessity (just feed the 5,000)
- Your only satisfaction. All you need
- Not just to sustain for a moment, but eternal life
- He does not provide the bread…HE IS THE BREAD
- Whoever comes to me – “Come to me all you that are heavy laden and I will give you rest”. (Mt. 11)
- Whoever believes in me
- Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
- COMING MEANS YOU BELIEVE, BELIEVE MEANS THAT YOU HAVE COME…..HEAD AND HEART.
- Never hunger. Never thirst
- A spiritual satisfaction. Spiritual Complete
- When my heart gets right. My life gets right.
- NEED AND LACK NOTHING.
CAN YOU SAY YOU HAVE TRULY BELIEVED/DONE THIS – I have placed my faith in Christ. I have come to Christ trusting in Him alone for my salvation.
THEREFORE, Because of our salvation, then we realize our assurance is not based on us, but based on God. It is God that we put our trust upon and our confidence in
vv. 37-40 Why, because:
v. 37a – I was given by the Father.
- All that the Father gives will come
- FOR ALL HAVE SINNED – because we are sinners we need a Savior.
- We are dead, so God must make us alive
- We know we are given, because we came.
- Because we came… we have been accepted by Christ
- Because we are given, then we will come.
- Not forced, but drawn.
- We had no idea what God orchestrated in heaven, we just knew we needed to be saved and came to Christ! Give God the credit He deserves, but DO NOT OVER THINK IT.
- God is God and has a plan. That plan is redemption.
- That plan has always involved His greatest creation….People.
- In the OT it was the nation of Israel, in the New Covenant it is the church.
- All the redeemed in Christ. The Church. The Children of God (John 1:12)
v. 37b-40 – I am kept by the Son (He is Savior Lord)
- Whoever comes I will never cast out. – v. 37b
- I shall lose nothing of all that was given to me – v. 39
- Jesus will accept us and keep us. WE ARE HIS. Our Savior and our Lord.
- Raised up on the last day – v. 39b-40
- Philippians 1:6 – And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
- But bring it to completion.
- ETERNAL – (NOW – FOREVER)
I am sealed by the Spirit
John 6:27 – Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.” (ESV)
The Father’s Seal on the Son.
GOD’s SEAL ON US
Ephesians 1:13–14 –  In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,  who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. (ESV)
As we pray, read His Word, and seek His faith…it is the Spirit within us that authenticates His relationship with us.
- His love, His Commitment, His authority, His Care.
- Believe On
- Come To
- Trust In
- Follow After
- Life For
- This is what having our assurance is all about.
What does it mean to be sealed by the Holy Spirit – https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/erik-raymond/mean-sealed-holy-spirit/